cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jussa21
Contributor
Message 1701 of 1,731

Re: UPGRADE OF 40MB TO 80MB SPEEDS ?

is there any mods out there to help today not a happy man at all now all i want is close to the speed website estimated please some one help

0 Ratings
DragonQ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1702 of 1,731

Went through the online upgrade and it just said my current contract "would be renewed", which wasn't specific enough for my liking.

Called up instead and I've been upgraded and put on a new 12-month contract. My original contract was 18 months and I'm 7 months into it, so I've gotten double speeds in exchange for extending my contract by one month. 😄

Estimated download is 64 Mbps but then they estimated my download on the 40 Mbps service to be 34 Mbps and it's actually 39 Mbps, so who knows! I was more interested in the 20 Mbps upload anyway because it'll mean I can stream live HDTV (which is ~9 Mbps but variable) from my HTPC to my laptop when I'm not at home (provided I'm somewhere with a 15+ Mbps download speed of course :p).

0 Ratings
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 1703 of 1,731

@DragonQ wrote:

Went through the online upgrade and it just said my current contract "would be renewed", which wasn't specific enough for my liking.

Called up instead and I've been upgraded and put on a new 12-month contract. My original contract was 18 months and I'm 7 months into it, so I've gotten double speeds in exchange for extending my contract by one month. 😄

As the saying goes, it's good to talk;)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
ady199
Aspiring Expert
Message 1704 of 1,731

Now that we can upgrade the firmware on the BT modem - if there a way to change the SNR rate to get a faster synch speed?
I used to be able to telnet into my old netgear modem\router to change the SNR to allow me to get a faster connection (this was when I had a standard ADSL connection)

0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 1705 of 1,731

@Spenty wrote:

@Aarong wrote:
If your still in the 10 day stabilisation period Spenty, resetting your HH would be unwise.

I've reset it plenty of times and get my max speeds again. It's fine as long as you don't turn the modem off (white box).

I've turned my modem off four times in the last week (power off) and was (still am) within the 10 day period after the upgrade. Each time, I've achieved a small profile increase of about 200kbps (was 72.03Mbps, currently is 72.84Mbps).

Not the HH though, never more than once in any 24 hour period, and I'm not recommending this, I'm just saying.

0 Ratings
Spenty
Aspiring Expert
Message 1706 of 1,731

@D-ave wrote:

@Spenty wrote:

@Aarong wrote:
If your still in the 10 day stabilisation period Spenty, resetting your HH would be unwise.

I've reset it plenty of times and get my max speeds again. It's fine as long as you don't turn the modem off (white box).

I've turned my modem off four times in the last week (power off) and was (still am) within the 10 day period after the upgrade. Each time, I've achieved a small profile increase of about 200kbps (was 72.03Mbps, currently is 72.84Mbps).

Not the HH though, never more than once in any 24 hour period, and I'm not recommending this, I'm just saying.

The modem is the first port of call really though so I thought switching that off would cause problems. To be honest I don't think powering off and on changes what DLM does to your line as long as your not powering off and on every hour or something.

0 Ratings
-Darren-
Contributor
Message 1707 of 1,731

@nayan89 wrote:

I thought I'd unlock my modem to get some in depth stats about my line.

Long story put short to anyone who hasn't followed my posts:

- Upgraded to 80/20 package being told I could achieve atleast 76/16.

- Upgrade went through but download speed dropped from constant 37/38 to 30, upload from 8mb to 5mb

- After being lied to by several BT customer reps I was told to wait 10 days

I've rebooted the modem and hh3 but it hasn't made an effect

Anyways here are the results of the modem:

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/364/stats1t.png

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7769/stats2p.png

Surely what I'm reading by those stats is that I should be able to achieve those quoted speeds?

I had an issue with noise interference on the line when I first had Infinity installed and the engineer told me this. When he was here he rang up someone and made some adjustments to the line and it was fixed, I'm guessing the same thing is happening now since the upgrade process.

The Line rate shows your on a banded (capped) profile, why exactly DLM has put you back on a banded profile only an engineer will be able to find out. That said if it was just a heavy burst of outside interferance and not a line fault DLM should remove the cap in time, could take a long time though. I'd try and get and engineer out.

In the mean time seen as you've unlocked your modem, you could start monitoring the stats and get someone over at kitz or thinkbroadband to analise them:- http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=10552.0

0 Ratings
nayan89
Contributor
Message 1708 of 1,731

What a bunch of useless un-educated staff on Technical support. The 10 days are up and I was told if the speeds didn't go back up today to call them and they'd book an engineers appointment. I've now spoken to some useless lady from India (I'm Asian too) and she's just telling me more bull**bleep** about how I have to wait to wednesday now until they run more tests; she **bleep** ran a test and said the line is fine. I got the infamous "i've spoken to my supervisor and he has told me this" malarky.

Please can any mods get back to me on the web forms I've submitted last week and look into this for me as this is becoming somewhat of a joke now.

I will be emailing head of BT's PA too as she helped me before with no problems just to speed things along.

0 Ratings
DragonQ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1709 of 1,731

Just ran the BT speed test and, as I suspected, their estimate of 64 Mbps download was totally wrong. I'm getting 79.7 Mbps download and 14.5 Mbps upload. 😄

However, results from SpeedTest.net are significantly lower (5 Mbps down, 2 Mbps up). Is there a period of "settling in" I need to wait through before I get consitent speeds?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 1710 of 1,731

Different speedtest servers will report different results mate.

www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk seems to be the most reliable one.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings