cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 1721 of 1,731

Re: UPGRADE OF 40MB TO 80MB SPEEDS ?

No there's some issues with that site at the moment. I believe BT will already be aware of this given how long there have been issues with it.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 1722 of 1,731

@McYak wrote:

Name me one server that allows you to achieve anywhere near 40Mbps never mind 80.

Giganews and some other news servers,  cloud file storage services, many website hosts, and for uploads, many sites let you max out, including Youtube.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 1723 of 1,731

40Mbps would near a sensational connection, between the two Infinity packages, your looking at roughly between 4.4MB/s and 9MB/s, seen 10MB/s on Newsgroup.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
asfish
Contributor
Message 1724 of 1,731

My speed has again gone up, another 400k on the download

Speedtest now says I have 69\16 so it looks like there are some speed changes going on in the backgroud over time

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 1725 of 1,731

That's jut normal "DSL" behaviour.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
GSB1
Contributor
Message 1726 of 1,731

@stelee wrote:

Dicka5 wrote: Why shouldn't you turn the modem off and back on?

Because the line tests for the first 10 days, and if you keep restarting it , the cab will think there is a faullt and continually drop your speed until its safe.

@Webby wrote:
It actually doesn't but I'm not going into that one yet again 😛

Webby, could you share a link to where you have explained this? please

Also, meant in the most construtive way; I have lost count how many times I have started to read into your signature thinking it is part of your post. Could you differentiate it a bit better?

0 Ratings
GSB1
Contributor
Message 1727 of 1,731

@GSB1 wrote:

I've read some of the other threads, but only a small section of this 150 page monster - so appologies if something similar has been covered.

Has anyone upgraded from the up to 40mb/s service to the up to 80mb/s service despite the BT Infinity speed indicator suggesting the speed will not increase? If so, did you gain anything?

My original Infinity install (must be about 14 months ago) was around 25mb/s download. The speed did actually increase a little after a while, but for as long as I can recently recall I have had a solid 37.5 down and 6/7 up service. When this kicked in I am not sure. I now assume it was whenever BT introduced the new higher speed service. I know for a long time I was getting was more than the Infinity predictor said I should for the line.

Using a Namesco speed check I get 37.5 down, 6ish up. BT Speedchecker IP profile is 38.6. BT Inifinity speed prediction is 37.5 down and 6.1 up.

Do you think I am already getting the best I can out of the line or do you think ther is more to be had?

So having posted the above back in Aptil this year, I decided to stay on Infinity 1 (option 2) as a speed increase was unlikely.

However I checked the speed tester again last week and saw that I was now estimated 47MB down and 8 up (currently have 37.5 down and 6). An increase worth having I thought, especially as I am now utilising my braodband more than ever. All for just renewing my contract and I would get a HH3 too.

Well the HH3 is useless (no NAT loopback and gigabit port dire) so it's back in the box, but there are other threads about that. At least I got a speed upgrade ..........well not yet!

My activation date was yesterday. Order is complete, email confirmation and status say so. The BT speed tester site shows my max upload speed as 20 now, where as it was 10 before. This I am taking as an indication BT have actually performed the "upgrade". However neither my upload or download speed has change at all. My downstram IP profile is still 38.71. I did dare a reboot of my modem today (day after my activation) and no change.

What are the odds I was on the very best my line could achieve with Infinity 1? Is the max achievable upload speed changing from 10 to 20 on the BT speed tester site proof I have really been switched to the 80/20 service or should I still be doubtful?

If that is my line maxed out then fine, but I would have preferred not to have been suckered into another 12 month contract on the promise of a 47MB down and 8 up service. 

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 1728 of 1,731

@GSB1 wrote:
If that is my line maxed out then fine, but I would have preferred not to have been suckered into another 12 month contract on the promise of a 47MB down and 8 up service. 

Where does it say promise?? You even said yourself that it estimated 47, not promised.

0 Ratings
GSB1
Contributor
Message 1729 of 1,731

@Deathtrap3000 wrote:

@GSB1 wrote:

Where does it say promise?? You even said yourself that it estimated 47, not promised.

Well done pulling me up on wording, but I think the sentiment was clear. Actually the wording on my paper order says my download "should be" 47mb/s, but I appreciate it is regardless an estimate

To be clear, not achieving the estimate bang on is not my gripe. My speed not changing at all when the estimator has changed from you wont get an increase to you'll get a 10mb/s increase ismy gripe. I thought I would see something.

I suppose at least I do know I have the best Infinity service for my line and if that changes my contracted service is not limiting me. That's the only positive I can see.

0 Ratings
GSB1
Contributor
Message 1730 of 1,731

I spoke to soon -  my downstream IP profile has just changed to 41.83.

I swapped back to my HH3 (hoping I get the firmware fix for NAT loopback sooner rather than later and not using the gigabit port this time). The reconnection of the PPP session must have seen me benefit from a better sync rate that probably occured overnight. For the benefit of others, I did not (and will not be) rebooting the modem as that is clearly resyncing speed as it should be.

I'll report back after my 10th day where I end up.

0 Ratings