cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 1,731

Re: UPGRADE OF 40MB TO 80MB SPEEDS ?

Until BT Retail announce the service every one is guessing as to whether different price will be charged or not the only thing that can be said is wait and see
D-ave
Expert
Message 12 of 1,731

@McGrath1982 wrote:
Hi borris12 go on the TalkTalk website enter your phone number and postcode you will find out what ***SPEED*** you will get on the 80/20. I sync at 39999 say and get 37.18Mbps and on the TalkTalk site they say I can get 71.1Mbps
However... BEWARE of Talk Talk!
They  warn you when you use their speed checker that they may telephone you to sell their services - and they mean it. Only use their speed checker if you enjoy "spam" phone calls because you will get inundated by them. Incessantly. And telephone preference service won't stop them because you "opted in" so they aren't cold calls.

@john46 wrote:
Until BT Retail announce the service every one is guessing as to whether different price will be charged or not the only thing that can be said is wait and see

Exactly. They could do several things other than an obvious price increase to enable them to make more long-term profit from FTTC. We just don't know, it's all guesswork.

0 Ratings
FieldEngineer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 1,731

The new 80/20 broadband package is not a free upgrade it is another option, I believe it is option 3 in the broadband packages.
0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 14 of 1,731

Infinity Option 3 is the FTTP package.

It could be that BT retail may want to charge more but will need to sort out their package names and the like as option 3 is FTTP so having option 4 for 80/20 is only going to cause confusion.

Or they may want to soak up the £1million a month extra charges that Openreach would chargem nake it a free uplift and just hoover up all the people deciding which provider as BT would be hands down the best value provider.

All I can assume is that the marketing department is waiting for a green light to come from high up in BT and they wll roll into hard sell mode.

0 Ratings
FieldEngineer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 1,731

In the town I live in there is no fttp option, so not sure how it the options will work for fttp areas, but it is another option not a free upgrade.
0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 1,731

In my area we have FTTP £25 for 40Mb £35 for 100Mb, so I'm guessing that 80mb will probably be £30 to maintain parity, however on the 100 Mb service I get 15Mb up, so I think that BT should bump up our upload speed to at least 20 Mb, if not the full 30Mb upload option- It seems only fair!

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
borris12
Expert
Message 17 of 1,731

i think BT charge enough for their Infinity anyway

no matter what speed you get

i think i will be leaving once my contract is up

0 Ratings
KarenCookson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 1,731

Hi

If you look at the BT OpenReach pricelist, you might get some idea

For GEA access the annual rental (ex VAT) is

40/2 - 82.80

40/10 - 88.80

40/15 - 119.40

80/20 - 119.40

I'm not aware that BT Retail did 40/15, so there is a wholesale increase of 30.60 per year from 40/10 to 80/20.  That is 2.55 per month ex vat - 3.06 per month inc vat.

For 40/2 to 80/20 it is 3.66 per month inc vat

You can sort of see where Talk Talk get the 5 UKP increase from, since they would have to provide extra bandwidth further upstream.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 1,731

@borris12 wrote:

i think BT charge enough for their Infinity anyway

no matter what speed you get

i think i will be leaving once my contract is up

Really?

Have a look at the likes of Zen's pricing for FTTC. BT Infinity is a steal.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 1,731

and its download capped regardless of price it makes BT a real bargain
0 Ratings