Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevec59
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

USB External drive for PC & Mac Via Home Hub 2

Hi Guys,

I have a home hub 2.0, I also have a 1TB External USB drive, I have connected the drive to the USB port on my Hub and I can see the drive on my pc, wirelessly (Windows 7), I know nothing abouy MAC's, but my wife has one and it would be great if we can both use the same drive, I think I will need to reformet the drive when it is plugged into her MAC into some MAC Format (?), I am happy to do that, but will both my PC and her MAC be able to access the drive?

Thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
DeanM
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 5

Re: USB External drive for PC & Mac Via Home Hub 2

Hi steve,

As nobody else has posted I've decided to step in with a bit of advice, limited though it may be on Mac's 😛

You can map your network drive to the Mac as well as your PC; I don't think there's a specific file format you need to have your hard drive formatted to although I've read reports of Mac's having problems with NTFS - FAT32 apparently works fine. The link below should help you map the drive to your Mac - as far as I'm aware, the IP address assigned to the USB slot on the Homehub is 192.168.1.253, so enter this when prompted for an address/location.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/09/20/map-a-network-drive-on-a-mac/

Give this a go and get back to us to let us know how you get on, it might prove useful for other users (if it actually does work!).

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

@DeanM

time to update your signature as Birthday prize draw is finishedSmiley Tongue

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DeanM
Moderator-Retired
Message 4 of 5

Good shout, I've just been too busy to notice 😛

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

0 Ratings
Titus
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Steve,

Have you got your external drive fully working ok now?

Can you tell me what type it is as I'm thinking of going down the same route.

Thanks

Titus 

0 Ratings