cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

USB portable HDD connected to HH3

Hi, i have a GoFlex Portable HDD just wanted to know if its actually possible to have it constantly connected to the HH3 an access it via laptop when ever i want to, as ive just tried connected it now and its showing up on the HH3 settings page but not showing up on my laptop to access. It is powered by the USB aswel. Hope someone can help. I thought it would of been 'plug n play' without having to set anything else up unless my HDD isnt compatible

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: USB portable HDD connected to HH3

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks had a read through, it says on the link on that topic that i must format my portable HDD to FAT32 (its currently NTFS) Any idea on what would be best if i use the HDD basically for storing movies and albums? if the difference is big and the NTFS type is better then i dont mind keeping it and just not connecting it to the HH.

Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@hoolay88 wrote:
Thanks had a read through, it says on the link on that topic that i must format my portable HDD to FAT32 (its currently NTFS) Any idea on what would be best if i use the HDD basically for storing movies and albums? if the difference is big and the NTFS type is better then i dont mind keeping it and just not connecting it to the HH.

Thanks

I think you will be disappointed whichever way you do it. The home hub is not really suitable as a media streaming device, as its much too slow, and tends to lock up.

A proper NAS is the solution. If you look at my network diagram, you can see how I do media streaming.

Home Network.jpg

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 5

As I can't be bothered buying a full blown NAS, I have a 500GB external HDD (formatted to NTFS but FAT32 also works - tested to confirm) connected to the Homehub 3's USB port and it works fine. I solely use it for music though so as Keith has mentioned if you want to stream movies/TV shows (especially HD content) you might be better with a proper NAS as the USB connection and the processor on the Homehub might just not be able to cope with all that extra traffic 😉

Also - if it isn't showing up when you try to map it on your laptop, switch it off for a minute then back on again and it should appear. I almost put the thing through the window trying to figure out what was going on and a simple reboot did the trick!

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings