cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulc_dj
Message 1 of 7

UTorrent not working (do BT actively block)

I have been using a torrent program UTorrent for many years now, and mine has just stopped working. Have uninstalled/reinstalled and the ports are open and working, but no torrents are downloading. I have posted on the UTorrent forums and they seem under the impression that this is what is happening.

My question is this, can, and do BT block torrent programmes? And if so, how can I find out, if they are doing it to me?

Many thanks

Paul

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: UTorrent not working (do BT actively block)

They certainly do at peak times 18.00 - 23.00 (thereabouts) and all weekend from Fri 18.00 until Sunday Midnight off the top of my head.  It should be working all the time obviously much better outside the times mentioned. Why because its the favoured method of pirates and they, BT and others are being forced too by the courts!  Bt and TT have challenged this twice now and lost.  Is  it just you No..  Perhaps try other program (s)..

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
paulc_dj
Message 3 of 7

They completely block UTorrent during those times?? Blimey, where's details of the court cases for this please?

Thanks for the reply man... 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

it is capped by BT at peak times 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

@paulc_dj wrote:

I have been using a torrent program UTorrent for many years now, and mine has just stopped working. Have uninstalled/reinstalled and the ports are open and working, but no torrents are downloading. I have posted on the UTorrent forums and they seem under the impression that this is what is happening.

My question is this, can, and do BT block torrent programmes? And if so, how can I find out, if they are doing it to me?

Many thanks

Paul

Hi.

No, uTorrent or other torrent programs are not blocked.

However p2p traffic is certainly throttled at peak times.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

@NilSatisOptimum wrote:

They certainly do at peak times 18.00 - 23.00 (thereabouts) and all weekend from Fri 18.00 until Sunday Midnight off the top of my head.  It should be working all the time obviously much better outside the times mentioned. Why because its the favoured method of pirates and they, BT and others are being forced too by the courts!  Bt and TT have challenged this twice now and lost.  Is  it just you No..  Perhaps try other program (s)..

Hi.

I'm afraid that's not at all accurate. The forcing of blocks is specific sites only, not p2p or uTorrent in general. Torrents are throttled at peak times, but nothing to do with the courts. E.g. :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14322957

0 Ratings
arron1718
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

its nothing to do with sites
the cap is for all p2p traffic at peak times

they will have to drop it soon as lots of games use p2p ports
0 Ratings