cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 14

Ultra HD - self install

BT sales are adamant that a chargeable engineer visit is required to get the YouView Ultra HD box installed because it needs to be 'hard-wired'.....

The router sits next the tv plugged into the BT master socket connected at 75mb.

What magic is the engineer going to perform other than plugging in Ultra HD box & connect to tv?

Not prepared to fork out £44 for opening a box.Smiley Mad

Any suggestions?

Will stick to Sky for......

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 14

Re: Ultra HD - self install

Hi - It's because ultra HD probably uses cat 6a not cat 5e cables. This is to handle more data. Should work with cat5e but i suppose they want to ensure all users have 6a.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 14

I don't suppose it would make any real difference whether the cables are cat5e or cat6.  Over moderate cable runs, cat5e can handle gigabit ethernet just fine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 14

Sounds odd to me,

i have Ultra and installed it my self!

I would recommend asking one of the forum mods to look at this - not hard to lay any type of network cable down tbh...

cg

CG Over An Out
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 14

I also was able to use self-install as well, just used the cables the sent with the ultra hd box.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 14

Thanks for the replies.

If an installation requires a new cable to be run then might as well use the faster cable type ie Cat6.

The max download speed of the router is 75mb so the super fast bit of cable between the router & YouView box wil have little impact unless the YouView box has other network features but all the multi-room options seem to involve an extra box anyway.

I can understand that BT don't want new customers complaining that the Ultra HD doesn't work properly due to a bodged DIY install but in my case and plenty of others it does not warrant the £44 engineer installation charge to connect a few network/power/HDMI cables.

BT get enough money from me already!

If anyone has alternative contact details for someone within BT who can sort this sillyness out I would be grateful.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 14

@ForumUser2015 wrote:

BT sales are adamant that a chargeable engineer visit is required to get the YouView Ultra HD box installed because it needs to be 'hard-wired'.....

The router sits next the tv plugged into the BT master socket connected at 75mb.

What magic is the engineer going to perform other than plugging in Ultra HD box & connect to tv?

Not prepared to fork out £44 for opening a box.Smiley Mad

Any suggestions?

Will stick to Sky for......

Why do they Insist, only Bt can tell you that and I don't think they really have a clue either.

They say it must be an engioneer install, then why have a BT help page :

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53986/related/1

about setting the damm thing up yourself.

The left arm don't know what the right arm is doing.

I think they have suddenly realised it's another cash cow.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 14

And here:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53980/related/1

Do I need an engineer to install Ultra HD/

We recommend one of our engineers sorts it for you so you get the best quality Ultra HD service. Although if you don't use broadband extenders or powerlines adapters with your current BT TV service, we'll give you the option of installing your new YouView+ Ultra HD box yourself.

If do you use broadband extenders or powerline adapters, you'll need an engineer to install it. (They don’t work with Ultra HD because your YouView+ Ultra HD box needs to have a wired connection to your Home Hub.)

One of our engineers will install it safely and securely so you can enjoy Ultra HD without any problems.

The word they use here is "recommend"

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

image.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 14

When I ordered mine online, I got free installation.
0 Ratings