cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gorsoft
Message 1 of 4

Unable to access newsgroups using Newsbin Pro

Go to solution

I've been using newsgroups for years but since joining BT I just can't get them to work.  The server name I am using is "news.btinternet.com", and India confirms my username is my email address and the password required for server authentication is the same one I use for email  setup.  Despite this I keep getting the message "server rejected your login". Are these the details that I should be entering?

I have trawled the forums but can't find any help that works - my IP address begins with 86, I have tried without success leaving the username/password entries blank/doesn't work with news.btopenworld.com.

I've had the password changed but even that does not help.

I don't know where to turn to?  Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Unable to access newsgroups using Newsbin Pro

Go to solution

You shouldn't need to login.

How many connections is Newsbin using?  Can you post a log of a connection attempt?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

@Gorsoft wrote:

I've been using newsgroups for years but since joining BT I just can't get them to work.  The server name I am using is "news.btinternet.com", and India confirms my username is my email address and the password required for server authentication is the same one I use for email  setup.  Despite this I keep getting the message "server rejected your login". Are these the details that I should be entering?

I have trawled the forums but can't find any help that works - my IP address begins with 86, I have tried without success leaving the username/password entries blank/doesn't work with news.btopenworld.com.

I've had the password changed but even that does not help.

I don't know where to turn to?  Any ideas?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

The username and password should be blank, as well as an other security or other network settings you may have entered, so it's a little weird for you to get that error response after leaving them blank.

The connection is done purely on the IP address. news.btinternet.com and news.btopenworld.com are actually the same and have the same IP address as they are interfaces to a giganews feed with reduced speed. You can have up to 3 concurrent connections, and each will be up to 60KB/s.

0 Ratings
MooJuice
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

For BT's news servers you shouldn't need to enter any credentials other than the server details as authentication is automatically made on the infrastructure; leave the username and password fields blank and give it a go.

Mark this as the correct solution if it works, it'll help someone else down the line.  Maybe.

0 Ratings