cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Unable to access the BT Broadband speed test because of previously submitted, but "expired" fault...

Hi, I did search the forums, but was unable to match my problem.

Long strory as short as possible...

Had been on normal ADSL broadband.  Upgraded to Infinity 1.   During the two days before the upgrade, my (still ADSL) speed dropped from its usual 2.4Mbps to around 512k.

At that point I contacted the help (online chat) and a fault was raised - VOL051-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What has happened is that this fault, when I go via the HH6 home page and select "Broadband performance test", yup, I get taken to the web-page "https://www.bt.com/help/home/broadband/speedtest/?s_cid=con_FURL_hh6speedtest",  **BUT** when I get there, and sign-in I get this message - 

fault pic.png

Now - what I REALLY want to do is to get to the "Diagnostics" for my line.   I know I'm getting a lower rate than I did with ADSL, but, right now, I'm not worried about that, it will get better.   But, basically, to GET to the diagnostic results, I HAVE to run the speed check, but all I can do is click on the link "Need to report a different problem?", which only takes me to the online chat....

All I need to know is how can I, or who can do it for me, is to get rid of that "expired" fault....   Then I'll be happy ! LOLOL

Many thanks in advance, and my apolgies if I HAVE missed a solution to this in the community here.

Bill

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: Unable to access the BT Broadband speed test because of previously submitted, but "expired&

Try this URL http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ ; you don't even need to login.

Please post your full Router Stats. For a Home Hub see on here: Broadband Top Tips . Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

Message 3 of 16

Re: Unable to access the BT Broadband speed test because of previously submitted, but "expired&

Helpful info - thank you - yes - I'm just following up on getting the "full router stats" - which indeed is kind of what I was after - Thanks so much @ XraySpeX 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Cool - @XRaySpeX - this is the kind of info I had hoped for - just finding my way around the HH6 - OK - this is what I have - 

tl-001.JPG

We ARE in a rural location, and *probably* around 3km of copper to the cabinet....

Also, here are thespeedtest results from the wholesale page - 

tr-001.JPG

Although deviating from the original intent of my post, which was just to get the stuck "Expired" fault removed from the page, any comments on these stats from the router, along with my info of 3km ( line of sight is about 2km, but I'll bet the copper wends-its-weary-way up-hill and down-dale so to speak! LOL )

Cheers !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

this graph shows how fast fibre speed degrades compared to copper adsl conenction

FTTC speed graph.gif

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 16

You are on an extremely long line from cab for fibre. You'd be better off on ADSL2.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Yup, indeed @imjolly - I'm aware of that - this is pretty much what I am expecting (at a push!)  🙂

forthisline.JPG

Thank you !

My main issue with the "old" ADSL was the upstream limit - I had about 2.8 to 3Mbps download, but only around 400k upload.  I'm an amateur musician, and do a lot of "live streaming" ( out, that is - - and viewers would see repeated hesitations in both video and audio....    ) - and oddly (but happily enough) I can now stream out quite happily, although my download speed on VDSL is actually lower than it was on ADSL...   It may get better of course as the system re-trains (it was originally WORSE than that due to a mess of internal house wiring, as of yesterday, I installed a proper master NTE (there never was one, it was the old-style little oval terminal-block thing).   I HAD waited twice for OR to come fit it, but in desperation, I just went and got one myself... LOL   So maybe over time it might get better... haha

Thanks again imjolly !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

if you have extension sockets which you conencted to the new master socket did you try just conencting router with a filter direct to test socket to see if that improves your current connection as it eliminates your internal wiring - or at least it should  you need to check there is no dial tone at any extension socket when you conenct to test socket.  old style connection are notorious for star wiring which will affect your broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 16

@boscad: May we see the whole of the BT Checker table, so that we may compare it with ADSL?

Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Thanks, @imjolly - yes - that's precisely what I did - theentireinternal wiring is disconnected.   I have the HH6 and the (cordless) phone plugged in to the microfilter, then into the new NTE master....  No other wiring whatsoever...  I was trying to give it the best chance possible !   LOL - I also have an old-style (non-wireless) phone I can plug in instead of the cordless...  although, right now, I don't really suspect any interaction with thecordless phone....

0 Ratings