cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjksalisbury
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Unable to access the internet via BT WiFi when out and about.

This padt couple of months or so I've noticed i can connect to BT-with-FON and Openzone hotspots both directly or via the bt wifi app, but despite being a full BT Infinity customer I can't connect to the internet through them.

I either get the message that my device is waiting for the internet connection to improve (despite having full WiFi signal, and yes I know that's a different thing), or that the hotspot does not provide access to the internet.

It doesnt matter where i am. The result is the same. This is even the case when I connect to the BT with FON service broadcast from my own hub, which I know has a perfectly functional internet connection.

What's going on? I'm paying to access a service BT is seemingly no longer providing to me.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Pumps100
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Unable to access the internet via BT WiFi when out and about.

I was experimenting yesterday with the BT Wifi app. Tried a few different places where I know you should be able to get on but failed. To be completely honest I have never ever managed to get on.

I took the time to read the small print via the 'help' menu. There seems so many caveats involved in getting it to work I think it renders the App useless for most people. It is supposed to work abroad as well. I was in France in July and again failed miserably.

A question maybe worth getting an answer to is your log in details. I use my main BT user name and password (same as I use for this site) but does the BT Wifi App use different log in details?

Sorry I cannot be of any help.

Regards

Ian

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 3 of 7

@Pumps100 wrote:

A question maybe worth getting an answer to is your log in details. I use my main BT user name and password (same as I use for this site) but does the BT Wifi App use different log in details?

The whole business of credentials for BT Wifi is a mess and what works for me isn't guaranted to work for you. In my case, my BT ID (the email address and password I use to access the main BT website) aren't recognised. What I have to do when using the BT Wifi app (and, indeed, the old style BT Wifi website where you can opt in/out) is enter my old original BT Internet email address and password, which I've never actually used for email purposes. With those entered, BT Wifi works fine for me.

p

tickhill
Expert
Message 4 of 7

A number of issues involving BT WiFi with Fon at this time.

See the following thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/Apps-from-BT/Bt-wifi-App-on-Windows-phone/td-p/1654321

0 Ratings
jjksalisbury
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I'm able to log on to the WiFi fine, so it's unlikely to be a username and password issue. It's just when I'm logged on to a hotspot it doesn't give me internet access.
0 Ratings
Pumps100
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I think you are on the money with this. I have a very distant recollection of having a unused @bt Internet address which we never used. Our son set it up. I will see if I can find the user name and password for this and give it a try.

Ian
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@Pumps100 wrote:
@I think you are on the money with this. I have a very distant recollection of having a unused @bt Internet address which we never used. Our son set it up. I will see if I can find the user name and password for this and give it a try.

As I understand it, you're on the right track. It used to be the case that the only email address that could be used was the primary one chosen or allocated on joining BT. At some time in the last few years, when BT introduced the convoluted BT ID procedure, it became possible for new customers to use any email address, but this was not extended to existing customers and still hasn't been.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings