cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cazzz
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Unable to connect second laptop to wireless, spent ages on the phone to a BT operator who gave up.

Hi

I've had my old laptop connected via wireless for a number of years.  Just bought a new laptop.  It connected ok in my office (not on a BT contract), so brought it home to use.  When I put the yellow cable in it works.  But I cannot connect to it via wireless. 

I downloaded the BT help tool, nothing worked.  I spent about 40 mins on the BT help line and the operator concluded that it must be something technical to do with my router as it was old.  She then told me to phone the technical help line and I would be charged a fee.

Can anyone give me some ideas on what to check or if this is a common fault.

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Unable to connect second laptop to wireless, spent ages on the phone to a BT operator who gave u

if you installed the BT cd then the forum recommendation is to uninstall it as it is known to cause wifi problems.

can your new laptop see the hub ssid in the wireless networks available?  if so and you try and connect it should ask for the wireless password which is normally on the hub.  just enter password and then connect

wireless help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cazzz
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Re: Unable to connect second laptop to wireless, spent ages on the phone to a BT operator who gave u

I didnt connect via a BT CD.

I have got as far as entring the security key....but it wont work.  The BT tech I spoke to also went over everything and then concluded that she couldnt help anymore. 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

hi i would recommend uninstalling th desk top help programme as it can cause more problem with wireless then it solves then let windows manage the connection which router are you using
0 Ratings
cazzz
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

I've uninstalled the help thingy...not sure what model router I have, it just says BT Home Hub.  The tech lady said it was very old....no model number on the router.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

0 Ratings
cazzz
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

I've looked at the lineup...its a black box but not the homehub2 as that is curved and mine is straight.

it looks more like hub 1 but that is just shown in white....I think I have had the hub for about 4/5 years

0 Ratings
cazzz
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

I found a pic on another thread, it says the V1 in black was a limited edition...pic looks the same

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

I remember those limited version 1.5 edition ones.

The main issue with the home hub 1.5 is that by default it uses WEP 64 encryption which is very easy to circumvent and is obsolete now.

Many wireless cards do not offer this by defaut, as its insecure. You can sometimes find a WEP option hidden on one of the settings.

You really need to change the encryption to WPA, the instructions are below.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10360/~/how-do-i-change-between-wep-and-wpa%3F

You will need to re-enter the new wireless key on any wireless devices afterwards.

0 Ratings