cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samwhigham
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Unable to connect to BTFon/BTOpenzone-H hotspots in some rooms of my flat? username error

Hi,

I have a bt Business acount with free Wifi, i spend some on my week in Lonon at a flat and try to use the hotspots for internet access. Everything connects up fine in the living room, actually a very good speen and signal strength (ipad and macbook) but when i go to another room at the otherside of the flat (7 meters or less away) i cannot connect although the signal strength is showing up as strung/full bars. I cannot think of anything inbetween that would interfere. The strange thing is that it won't let me log in becuase it says my username and password is wrong, although it's right when im in the living room.

Any ideas would be greatly appreiciated!

best,

Sam

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Unable to connect to BTFon/BTOpenzone-H hotspots in some rooms of my flat? username error

I might be wrong here; but I didnt think that business customers have the same wi fi [free] deal as personal customers. 

Might be worth a post on the business forum.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
samwhigham
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Re: Unable to connect to BTFon/BTOpenzone-H hotspots in some rooms of my flat? username error

I thought this aswell so i looked it up, and as a BT unlimited Business boradband customer we get acess to all openzone and BT Fon hotspots.

The thing is in one room i get great acess, but in another room, around 7 meters away i get a username error, even though the signal level shows the same high quality as the other room.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Thats got me beat.  You can connect ok in one room, but not an adjoining room with the same user id etc? 

You sure its trying to connect to the same signal point in both rooms, and not another with a very similar wireless key?  I wonder if the hub you are picking up nearby is using a second hub as a repeater, and is somehow configured differently to the master?  Any locked ie non-Fon hubs in the area and showing up?

AQ.

0 Ratings
samwhigham
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for your response

Yes exctly that, connect fine in one room but not in an ajoining with same details.

as far as i can tell it's the same hotspot, the names are exactly the same. Would a repeater hub be a problem? anyway of checking? Yes there are four or five BT homehubs showing up, all locked.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

I suspect a different you are getting the signal from another hub between rooms
Message 7 of 10

Thanks John. Thats my view but I dont know how 😞
AQ.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

You can download inSSIDer, which will show you all the wifi signals in range, with information about signal strength etc. It might give some clues.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Should have thought of that myself 😞
AQ.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

a good point PP
0 Ratings