cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

Unable to download macafee bt net protect.

Hi there,

I am trying to install macafee Bt net protection, but my computer crashes thens re-start each time I try. Before it crashes I get a blue screen and it says there is a problem running this programme.   I unistalled the old macafee programme yeterday and tried to re-install the new one today but it's not happening.  I have also tried to run the macafee removal tool today but it won't do that.  It says it is being used by another user.  Can anyone help me? 

Cheers Natasha

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Unable to download macafee bt net protect.

It would appear that BTNetprotect/McAfee has broken your system if you are getting the blue screen of death.

You will need to start your computer in safe mode and re run the McAfee removal tool if it will let you. 

See link how to start in safe mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/start-computer-safe-mode#start-computer-safe-mode=windows...

If it does clear McAfee from your system my advice and that of others on the forum would be to not re install BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Unable to download macafee bt net protect.

Mc Afee can be a pig to get rid off, as I found years ago when I dumped it due to it hogging system resources. Ended up going into the Registry settings and deleting keys in there (following instructions supplied by McAfee technical experts as I had a paid license) You should NOT attempt changing the Registry settings unless you feel confident and willing to accept the consequences if things go wrong and have taken a back up of the settings first. Because it is a third party product I suspect you will fall into a hole between BT support and McAfee support, so you may need to take your computer to a PC repair shop.

One of the top award winning free antivirus utlities is Avira which is another one you might wish to look at as well as those suggested but until you get rid of McAfee you may have trouble installing any other anti virus software.

What anti virus did you have before you tried to download McAfee BT net protect? If you already had McAfee then that may well be one of the causes. I note that it will uninstall no end of Antivirus programmes if you try to install it http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12876/c/346 except the latest versions of McAfee.

0 Ratings