cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glassman
Message 1 of 7

Unable to get faster than 1mb download speed

Hi,

Hopefully you can advise me about how to deal with our slow broadband speed. It never gets above 1mb. I've contacted BT through the call centre number a few times over the past few weeks and they have checked the line speed etc. The last time they asked engineers to go to the exchange (I assume it was there) to see if there was anything wrong. The latest was a call back from the call centre, saying to monitor my speed and that it should start to get faster. That was over a week ago, and it's still the same speed. One theory I have is that it might be because our phone line comes out of the ground at the front of the house, but then the wire goes around the side of the house and in at the back, into the BT socket (it's an old type, not one where you've got the line across the plate). So could this line around the house be the problem? For info, I've got my hub plugged straight into that socket (not internal wiring), with a microfilter fitted (have also tried other microfilters). 

I've done a speed test and got the stats from my hub. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Download speedachieved during the test was - 908 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1152 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 288 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1000 Kbps

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time2 days, 04:39:37
Downstream1,152 Kbps
Upstream288 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.1 Annex A
Latency typeFast
Noise margin (Down/Up)31.2 dB / 29.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)20.3 dB / 10.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)12.4 dBm / 1.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 16
HEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)0 / 15
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Unable to get faster than 1mb download speed

I think from the stats you have posted that you are on an old fixed 1mb connection - did you have that before?  when was the last time you renewed your contract?  if not in last 12 months then phone uk sales 08007830056
and get new contract, negotiate a reduced monthly cost, get a new hub and most important make sure you get on adslmax or if exchange upgraded adsl2 (21CN)

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
glassman
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated.

Originally we had broadband through virgin, just before they were taken over by NTL. At that point we had 2mb download for £9.99. When the merger happened, they kept our monthly price at £9.99 but halved our speed to 1mb.

When signing up for BT broadband (last April) the speed stayed at 1mb, and this has remained the case. Even though on the bt site it says we should be getting around 6.5mb (and the BT call centre agree on this).

Do you think it is possible that we are still locked at the 1mb capped rate? Would BT not have noticed this after my calls, and when the engineers came out to look at things?

Interestingly, before virgin halved our speed, the various speed checkers out there said we should get 6.5mb, but after they halved it, most speed checkers (including BT's) said 1mb max. A few month's ago though the speed checkers began showing 6.5mb again.

Thanks!

Paul

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

you are still locked to a 1mb connection and need to contact BT to get on to adslmax.  as it was last April your contract must be due for renewal so contact uk sales and get them to sort it out.

your possible speed can be checked here - just enter your attenuation  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
glassman
Message 5 of 7

Thanks,

Just called that number and explained the situation to them. They said I should be able to get 8mb download. However they said they couldn't help and put me through to the "technical" department again, who told me that 1mb was a "good speed" so couldn't see the problem! I politely disagreed, and said I'd have to sort it out some other way.

Not sure what to do now to take this forward.

Paul

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

way forward is to contact the mods who will fix it  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

make sure you include a link back to this post

0 Ratings
glassman
Message 7 of 7

Thanks, will do that now.

Paul

0 Ratings