Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavyB
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Unable to log on to e-mail first time these past few days

Go to solution

Having had no problems logging on since before Christmas the system has suddenly discovered a new way to ratch up the frustration levels! The last few days I often (but not always) get a message telling me that as I have had numerous unsuccessful log-in attempts I am temporarily being locked out.

I haven't had any unsuccessful log-ins for ages!!!!!

Who's bright idea is this one?                How can I reset the incorrect record on BT's system?

Yours hopefully,             Davy B

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Unable to log on to e-mail first time these past few days

Go to solution

The joys of using webmail.

You can not reset the record. You can usually log in straight away if you just close your web browser then try again.

The best way to avoid all the wemail problems is to use an email client such as Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird. If you do that you do not need to use webmail or log in because the email client will do that automatically when you access your email through it.

0 Ratings
r101
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

This is insane - I wanted to use this web forum to query why I'm being locked out of email by "too many unsuccessful attempts" (apparently zero is too many) but I found I could not log in without replying to a registration email I couldn't get to - where did it say this? I could easily have given an alternative email but there was nothing I saw to suggest this.

Anyway I now find that I can get to my mailbox through a different browser AT THE SAME TIME as the normal route is blocked - Hope that info is useful to someone other than hackers - it shouldn't be if the security is any use at all.

But what the hell is going on there? Surely BT should increase security when I appear to be coming from somewhere new - not reduce it?

Is this joke a version of the "punish loyalty" ethos so popular these days (it used to be just banks but now cookies mean retailers charge more when you come back). 

Anyway the real issue is this "too many unsuccessful attempts" message cropping up at the first logon of the day or several days.

How can I be sure there isn't someone else, somewhere else on the planet who is challenging my password when I am not there?

Thanks.

PS. I certainly don't want to use some automated method as advised above (then everything I access would rely on the security of the intermediary entity) - any more than I would ever use a Google email app that stored my password for "convenience".

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@r101 wrote:

PS. I certainly don't want to use some automated method as advised above (then everything I access would rely on the security of the intermediary entity) - any more than I would ever use a Google email app that stored my password for "convenience".

It would appear from the above that you are not sure how an email client works.

Basically you install the email client such as Windows Live Mail onto your computer. When you set this up you enter details into the program. These details include your email address and password. It is stored securely in the email client which is as secure as your computer.

When you want to check your email you open the email client and when it opens it logs onto your email account, downloads the emails that are on the server then it logs out. Likewise when you want to send an email, you write it then click send. It logs on, sends your email then logs out.

It is more secure than using your present method where you log onto your email account and are still logged on while you read and write your emails and stay logged on until you log out. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_client

DavyB
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Closing the browser window and then reopening it before trying again seems to work ok for now - many thanks for that tip.

Still doesn't clarify why the "Sorry...." message happens in the first place though, or how I can stop it happening again.

Is it just another annoying aspect of this supposed service?  Think I will go back to using Royal Mail!        DavyB

0 Ratings
DavyB
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

The previous problem has now resurfaced at my first attempt to Log in today. Even closing the browser as suggested and then trying to log in via Google Chrome gets the same totally unhelpful response - there must be someone at BT who can sort out the mess properly!

Good job I took the opportunity to open alternative e-mail accounts, but I would still like to be able to access my historic messages without this stupid rigmarole each time.      DavyB

0 Ratings