cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michaels10
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Unable to receive incoming calls from local area - porting problem? Mods help please!

Go to solution

Hi, 

Ever since switching to BT from Virgin I have been unable to receive incoming calls from my local area. I can dial out ok and receive calls from outside the area and from mobiles. Habe tried phoning customer services several times, all to no avail as they just test the line and say it is fine. 

This is a serious problem for me as my husband is very ill and is unable to receive any telphone calls from the hospital. He is sometimes called in urgently to see the doctors and at the moment can only be cotacted by them phoning relatives elsewhere in the UK who have to then pass on the message to us! 

I would be very grateful if a mod could help with this. 

Michaels10

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Unable to receive incoming calls from local area - porting problem? Mods help please!

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

They are very busy, so it could take a few days before they could look at the problem.

Can you make sure that the people calling you, use the full national dialling number, and not the short local number, as this can impact on the way the calls are routed.

0 Ratings
Michaels10
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Re: Unable to receive incoming calls from local area - porting problem? Mods help please!

Go to solution

Thank you very much for your help, Keith, much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Please  see my edited post concerning the calling number, as local services sometimes just use the six digit suffix, and not the full national dialling code. This causes problems with routing when numbers are ported out.

0 Ratings
Michaels10
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but where do I find that post? I clicked on your profile and looked through the first 3 pages of posts, but couldn't see it.

0 Ratings
Michaels10
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Soory - ignore that- found it now!

0 Ratings
Michaels10
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

We did think that might be the problem, but even with the full number(including code), the caller gets the "number unobtainable" message.

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @Michaels10 Sorry to hear that you cannot receive some calls since you moved over to us.

We will be happy to help you get this fixed if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

PS we are busy at the moment so it may take slightly longer than the normal 48hrs to get to your case.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @Michaels10,

Thanks for sending over your details. I tried calling your mobile, sorry I missed you. I've raised this with openreach number portability and will be in touch as son as I get any updates from them. In the meantime can you try dialling 17070 and check if the number on the line is correct?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Michaels10
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Hello David, 

Thanks for your message. I can confirm that the number is correct when I dial 17070.

Many thanks, 

Michaels10

0 Ratings