cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joe2812
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Unable to send e-mail from @btinternet.com address

Hello all... first post, so be gentle...

I have my @btinternet.com e-mail account set up on my iMac, iPhone and iPad.... Or at least, I think I do. It's all been working fine, sending and receiving with no issues.

A couple of days ago I tried to send an email and it failed. It is failing on all of the devices and I'm having to log into webmail to send anything.

When I try to send I get the error;

"Cannot send message using the server btinternet.com"

When I go into the Connection Doctor it tells me the connection and login to SMTP and Yahoo! POP are both working fine.

I can still receive mail fine, but I simply cannot send anything, and I've no idea why as nothing has changed settings-wise. Anyone have any ideas...?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Unable to send e-mail from @btinternet.com address

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Has the bit "mail." been missed off the server name ? The server should be mail.btinternet.com
Message 3 of 11

Hi Joe2812, welcome to the forum.

There is a plague on many e-mails ATM Smiley Sad

First off, I'd make sure that all of your settings are correct over all devices.

Might be best to wipe em and start again.

I use IMAP, and my settings are:-

Incoming

imap.mail.yahoo.com

993SSL

Outgoing

smtp.mail.yahoo.com

465 SSL

[Ive found that if I try and forward some emails, the settings somehow become corrupted: I'd wipe em, and start again.

Edit:

Andy knows his stuff on this. Follow his advice Smiley Happy

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

Try changing the outgoing port to 587. That worked for me when this problem arose, and I know it's been the answer for others also.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Joe2812
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Thanks all for the replies;

Andy - Have checked and the servers include the 'mail' as you describe.

AQ - Tried your settings to no avail. The server states (Offline) before prompting me for a password and then failing.

PP - Tried that port as you suggest, no joy.

Errors as settings;

I did load up my Mail to fiddling with the settings and a test email sat in my Outbox sent successfully straight away. I then sent another just a matter of seconds after to the same test receipient but it then failed!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@Joe2812 wrote:

AQ - Tried your settings to no avail. The server states (Offline) before prompting me for a password and then failing.

Errors as settings;

I did load up my Mail to fiddling with the settings and a test email sat in my Outbox sent successfully straight away. I then sent another just a matter of seconds after to the same test receipient but it then failed!

I don't want to interfere with the experts. You can see that I have only made a few posts.

My Computers are Windows 7, but I do have an Apple IPod touch.

Based on the information you have given, you need to change the outgoing server entry  to "mail.btinternet.com". You have missed the "mail" bit, as Andy_N says. The Incoming Mail Server entry is correct. These settings apply to a pop3 account.

I don't use imap, so it's uncharted territory.

Hope this helps. Pehaps the experts will comment on some other details.

Good luck.

0 Ratings
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

@Joe2812 wrote:

Errors as settings;

Joe, you are giving out your email address - not a good idea on an open forum:(

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Joe2812
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Thanks for the reply.

This bit listed as 'btinternet.com' is just the profile description; I could change it to something like 'My BT Email' if I wanted. The server bit is in the column headed 'Server Name'.

The profile 'btinternet.com' uses the server 'mail.btinternet.com'

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Joe,

Glad you replied. Take heed of the warning of giving out your email address, though.

In the part of the panel "Outgoing Server" have you actually entered the phrase <mail.btinternet.com>?

It's not the list - it's the top left hand large panel, the setup panel in your well laid out picture. 

This is what I have had to do on my Apple IPod and also on both Windows 7 computers. I think that even my BT HTC Desire is the same, but I don't want to interfere with it as it's an import piece of equipment, which I set up once on receiving it.

I'm not an Apple computer expert, but all these set up panels are similar, regardless of Apple or Microsoft or HTC. After that - I don't think I can be of much help. You need an Apple user to help.

Perhaps, if this suggestion does not work you can ask for more help, either by creating a new post or adding another post, replying to the experts.

Ribblelancs

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Joe,

Futher comment, your picture has been removed by someone, presumably a moderator, and is no longer on view.

Ribblelancs.

0 Ratings