Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
devster75
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Unable to view server on BTHH5

Hi everyone,

OK, a few months ago I purchased a HP microserver to setup as a media server in my house. I've got it connected to the BT Hub router via Ethernet cable and can see it when I use an SSH terminal to connect from my Mac (I've got CentOS Command Line installed on the server). I've also setup Plex and can view my content from home and from the office with no problems.

The problem I'm having right now is that I cannot access any shared folders/directories on the server from either my Mac or my company-issued Windows laptop. I've installed and setup Samba on the server and configured some directories to share out but no attempt to connect has ever been successful. If I open a Finder window and "Connect to Server", I enter the server name and share name but it fails. Just entering the server name also fails.

In the Home Hub manager, it shows that the server is ready and available, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why I can't see anything from my Mac. I've separated the 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSID's but regardless of which one I connect to, it doesn't work.

Anyone had the same issue? Any suggestions on where I should look?

Cheers...

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
DavidM
Message 2 of 4

Re: Unable to view server on BTHH5

Hi devster75,

Welcome and thanks for posting. Did you manage to get this sorted? Can you post back and let us know how you're getting on.

Cheers

David
0 Ratings
devster75
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Hi David,

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately I'm still having problems. I've gone through the Home Hub Manager and checked all the settings, all ports have been forwarded to the server and I've also placed my server into the DMZ but still no joy. I'm going to re-check the configuration on my server to see if I've missed anything and just go through things one at a time. I'll let you know if I ever get to the bottom of this. In the meantime if you, or anyone, has any ideas on what to try, please do let me know.

Cheers!

0 Ratings
devster75
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

OK, so I followed a guide online (same one I followed previously) and removed all samba related files from my server, went through the process of downloading the modules and then configuring the shares...and it worked. From my Mac, I used the IP address of the server rather than the name and it picked up all the shares I created on the server. Success.

Next step is to work out how to have those shares externally facing so I can access them when I'm outside my house in other locations. If anyone has any ideas how I can achieve this, they are most welcome.

FYI, the article I followed to setup Samba shares can be found here: http://www.unixmen.com/install-configure-samba-server-centos-7/

0 Ratings