Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 22

Re: Unacceptable Service - fluctuating speeds

yes the orange bellwire is inside the socket and as it's name suggest was to make the phone ring - not needed anymore and now can act like an aerial for noise and broadband problems.  so maybe a tidy up of cables may help as well

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 22

Hi i followed the instructions on this page: http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html

now when i remoreved the first face plate where the pictures indicate wires going into the terminals, this was not the case on mine as there were no wires going in them at all. on removing the plate behined this there were only two wires connected one black and one orange.

could this be the problem?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 22

do you have any extension sockets in your home as the lack of wires to the front plate would suggest there are none

the back wires if this is a master socket are the main BT incoming wires and should not be touched - property of BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 14 of 22

There is another socket upstairs but nothing is plugged in it, i dont even know if it is active.

i spoke to technical support again and talked to him about what you said, he had to google what i was talking about (whilst remotley connected to my PC) to resolve the problem which whilst it helped as my connection has gone up, does not fill me with confidece that i am getting "the best possible service". i wonder if you would look at my new stats and tell me what you think?

The first support guy said that he was unable to conclude testing as there was a circuit problem preventing them doing so, he mentioned earlier in the conversation that my line was not "active" and questioned if it was provided by BT. It was almost like he had two sets of conflicting information that he could not explain, his best solution was  laughibly to "go to the exchange and wait for an engineer and explain the problem"

Not satisfied with that i rang again and spoke to another person He has now asked me to reset my router again as something at the exchange is going to happen today or tomorrow. i did reset twice yesterday when on the phone the two different support people, and i am mindefull of screwing up my profile as you mentioned previously.

Uptime:0 days, 20:00:53
Modulation:G.992.3 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:888 / 5,582
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:35.09 / 550.40
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:13.0 / 25.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:14.0 / 13.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):3 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):3 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 134
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0
Line Profile:Fast
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 15 of 22

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

4495 Kbps

0 Kbps4000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4495 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1200-4000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :5582 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 888 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 4500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 18.48:19.99:61.53 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

661 Kbps

0 Kbps888 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 661 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 888 Kbps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 22

your connection speed has increased but you noise margin is still high at 13.5.  Another change is you are now on adsl2 (992.3) and not adsl2+ (992.5).  This may be because of the resets and changes you have made.  The exchange is automatic on 21CN and decides between adsl2 and 2+ trying to do the best for your line.

at present staying connected 24/7 and letting your connection settle may be the thing to do just now and review after tomorrows change happens whatever that may be.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 17 of 22

so when they call back i should i tell them that both the up & down noise margin should be decreased to 6? and my attenuation to stay as it is?

also i do have a cheapo telephone extention running from the microfilter to another room connected to my sky box, should i have another microfilter plugged into the other end?

thanks for all the help, you have been excellent !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 22

just need the filter on each connection so should be fine.

your attenuation will not change it's the modulation but ( having had a smilar problem myself a while ago) the change in modulation from 992.3 to 992.5 is automatically controlled by the exchange equipment.  If your line improves then you could see a reset by the exchange and your modulation change to 992.5 adsl2+

you can ask if they will reset your noise margin back to normal 6db

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 22

We have been experiencing a similar problem for more than two weeks now and are getting absolutely nowhere.  Speeds are fine between 11pm and 7.30am (3000-3500Kbps) , but during the day we are recording around 140Kbps, which I think anyone would agree is unacceptable!  Sometimes it is so slow, we can't even run a speedtest!!  I am tired of the repetitive conversations with Technical help in Southern India, which always runs the same : 1) They are really sorry to hear that we still have a problem (training point a - you can't really get angry with someone who has already apologised) and 2) They will take personal responsibility and the problem will be fixed in 48/72 hours (training point b) - you can't really continue a conversation when someone has theoretically offered you a resolution and a time period for its accomplishment).  However, I now know that this is all that ever happens - nothing changes, nothing gets fixed, and I wonder whether anyone is even trying, since when I asked last night for a list of what had actually been tried so far, the supervisor was unable to tell me!! 

We did have an engineer call last week, who was the one person so far who seemed to have some idea what he was doing, although that didn't help.  He confirmed that the service was c**p (his words) and that there was nothing wrong with the wiring at our end.  He changed the hub, which made no difference, and tested the line which showed 6880Kbps coming in.  He put in requests to remove any cap on the line and check the tie pairs at the exchange.  I have been told that the line was capped, and have now been told on two separate occasions that this has just been removed (so presumably they put it back the first time!) but this has made no difference.  There has been talk of increasing the band width - but if this has been done, it has made no difference- and there has been mention of fibre-optic broadband coming to our area sometime next year, which I presume was supposed to cheer us up!

Currently we are awaiting yet another call back tomorrow evening, when no doubt we will go through the same rigmarole all over again. It seems pretty obvious to us as complete amateurs, that the problem is too many people are now using broadband in our area and the infrastructure can't cope (we are 1600 metres from the exchange), but if BT aren't capable of providing the service, then they should have the decency to say so and stop taking our money!

Having stayed with BT all our lives, we are very reluctant to change, but at the moment see no alternative as even a dial-up modem would give us better performance!  Why is it that BT don't see, to have a UK based team who actually understand Broadband, who we could have an intelligent conversation with, and who could take ownership of, progress and hopefully fix our problem? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 22

welcome to the forum

can I suggest you start your own subject as this one is a year old

just copy and paste your post into your new subject. 

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

0 Ratings