cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MickH59
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 39

Re: Unacceptable broadband speed

Thanks for the replies regarding my line. I originally reported it as a fault in January as I was only getting 260kbps!.

After about a week it was marked as resolved but I received absolutely nothing to explain why it was resolved or what the problem was.

I did get better speeds - 1mbps then 2 then the dizzy heigts of 6.5mpbs for about 10 days but then back to the ridiculous capped rate again (albeit never asl low as 260k again)

It is clear for all to see that the problems are getting worse (as the number of problems and complaints confirm) and worse as BT simply cannot cope. I imagine the upcoming BT sport is a contributing factor.

While I thank you all for trying to help, I have zero confidence in BT being able to rectify my problem because I think their infrastructure just cannot cope.

I really do not mind about the drops in connection because they only happen two or three times a day at most - what I do object to is the cap at 1mbps as it really does render it not fit for purpose.

All I want now is to be released from my contract and to switch to Virgin who can provide a fibre connection for me at 32mbps. Thing is, I've already said I'd be quite satisfied with 3-4 - I really am not being unreasonable.

When the HomeHub connects at G992.3 (ADSL2) it remains connected for much longer - a couple of days usually. But at G992.5 (ADSL2+) it is far less reliable. Presumably this is due to the cable not being able to cope so well with the higher frequency band?

Can HomeHuib3 connect using G992.1 (ADSL)? If so, that would be perfectly OK for me as I know I can never get close to it's maximum or 8mbps.

I have used routerstats to monitor the HH3 connection in the past and every time it seems that there is a drop in S/N margin that causes the dropout.

It is generally (but not always) worse in the early afternoon on Saturday and particularly Sunday. I really do believe that the problem is not the line (it is certainly not internal wiring here because it was all disconnected weeks ago to try to resolve this problem) rather it is the simple fact that the system cannot cope.

I understand that work is ongoing in my local exchange to enable BT Infinity for more customers. I am not sure if that work could or is having an effect on any connections but one thing for sure is that unless something happens to convnce me that BT can be trusted, I will certainly never ever be tempted to take it and will be going to Sky or Virgin instead (I've been able to have Virgin 32mbps fibre for years - big mistake by me, shouldv'e gone for that instead of going back to BT - won't ever make the mistake again though when I leave).

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 39

your router is quite capable of handling adsl2+ 992.5 as shown in many posts.  you have a serious noise problem hence the huge fluctuations in the noise margin as said before. 

have the mods been in contact with you?

moving to sky will make no difference as it will be same line just different equipment provided sky have LLU service available.  virgin would be totally different as they will not use existing line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 39

also BT Sport and Infinity have noting to do with your problem

the cap as you call it is a banded profile caused by a large number of disconnections this is placed on your connection by the exchange equipment automatically once the disconnections are resolved then the banding will rise automatically to the proper connection speed
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 39

Did you contact the mods as suggested as you need there assistance to resolve this problem
0 Ratings
MickH59
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 39

re "moving to sky will make no difference as it will be same line just different equipment provided sky have LLU service available."

Wrong! Did you read my posts regarding my sister?

BT Infinity - utter rubbish - change to Sky - no problem. Same line, no changes at all (other than router which is irrelevant)

Anyway regardless of the "line problems" with LLU it WILL CONNECT AT THE MAXIMUM SPEED! not a ridiculous capped one.

So it is most definitely NOT the same.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 39

LLu and ADSL 2+ are the same technologies LLU or Local Loop Unbundling is explained in this link i suggest you spend some time reading the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local-loop_unbundling
0 Ratings
MickH59
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 39

Re "LLu and ADSL 2+ are the same technologies LLU or Local Loop Unbundling is explained in this link i suggest you spend some time reading the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local-loop_unbundling"

Yes but like everyone else here you seem to fail to undertand that LLU is free of the utterly ridiculous capping that BT employs.

Do YOU understand the reasoning behind BT's rate capping? If errors are not a problem with LLU why are they so much of a problem for BT?

0 Ratings
cmdrew65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 39

I have exactly the same issue - 7Mbps with TalkTalk - change to BT which started at 6.2Mbps and has now dropped to 4.4Mbps because of their stupid IP profile changes.  If my line was perfectly capable of 7Mps with TalkTalk why can't BT manage it as the line is the same - TalkTalk do have LLU so obviously their equipment is better than BT.

I think the whole idea of BT and broadband is a con - they offer you a service which you cannot tell how good/bad it will be until it is installed and then lock you in to a contract for 18 months.  It's about time someone challenged them in court - it's like buying a new car but not being allowed a test drive then finding out it will only do 30MPH.

0 Ratings
MickH59
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 39

Well, in the end, the solution was very simple as I suspected and now I have absolutely fantastic broadband. The solution for anyone else in the same predicament is to simply switch to Virgin Media and ditch your BT line altogether as they are unwilling or incapable of solving the problems they insist do not exist. I now get more than 40 times the download speed I got with BT and  over 8 times upload speed. What's even better is that it is actually cheaper too! (disregarding initial discounts)

0 Ratings