cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pandmgd
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Unanswered Broadband usage surge

From reading through the forums it appears that I am not the first to have a unexplained broadband usage issue.

My average usage over the last 2years has been 11Gb per month. Suddenly I received an automated e-mail this morning at 04:05saying I've used 36GB (contract is BT Infinity 1...40GB allowance and the first warning should have come on using 28GB), I then check my account on MYBT at 09:00 and find that I seem to have used 54GB...so I've used 18GB in 5hrs whilst asleep! 

Having rung billing...who passed me on to broadband, who in turn passed me to Technical I gave up after over an hour. 

Can anyone inform me of the next step please? Every time I asked for how, why and when I had built up this usage replied they could not tell me as 1) data protection..(thought it was my data!, and 2) no such records are kept...well if that's the case how can one ever check a bill?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
dfenceman
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unanswered Broadband usage surge

I had a similar query, albeit not with such high usage, earlier this month and got the mods involved.  They told me the Usage Monitor was correct as they had an alternative system that back the monitor up.  So aks them for a copy of it.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Keeffuscake
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Hello,

Would welcome some advice on similar issue please. My mother in law who is in her 70's and uses her Internet for no more than an email every so often received a message to say she had exceeded her 10 gb limit by 7 gb during October. I rang BT today and was told that on one particular day this week a download was made of 16gb. Not only is this unlikely given her usage but probably impossible as she was travelling back from a holiday on that particular day. They couldn't tell me the specifics of the download and gave me a number to call next week so that I,can find out. Is this likely to yield any answers? Naturally she is very worried about this but if BT claim the download has been correctly attributed to her account how can I prove otherwise? I' m hoping that this is just an admin error but what are the chances?
0 Ratings
Leonn1990
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Hi pandmgd,

Sometimes it's difficult to explain what has caused the usage to spike up, BT and any other broadband provider doesn't keep a record or have access to what you have used as this would be a breach of the customers privacy.

There are ways to try and find out what may have caused it, downloading or streaming movies and music can cause massive spikes in usage. If you have Sky and use its on-demand services, this can also spike it up as its downloading content from the Internet to your set top box. Another could be system updates, for example an update to Windows or iOS. You may have had guests round who connected to your broadband.

A helpful tip, make sure your hub is password protected because if it's not then anyone close enough to connect can use your internet. Also turn off your hub if you're not using it, you may be asleep or out but there could be a device which may automatically update itself I.e. Phone or app updates.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

turning the hub on and off is not reccomended as it will have an adverse effect on the connection speed as the exchange equipment sees the line as unstable also the the hub is password protected and also the WiFi connection is encrypted as well no one can use your connection with out knowing your wireless security code
0 Ratings
Keeffuscake
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Predictable lack of help following nearly 2 hours on the 'phone. Apparently she needs to prove that it wasn't her download. Why doesn't BT have to prove it was?. So glad I am not a customer of this shower anymore. Will be doing my upmost find alternatives for the mother in law.
0 Ratings
interstellar6
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I have the same problem.  I got infinity installed on 30th October with a 20GB limit.  It actually came on around 5.30pm on 30th October 2014.

By 9.30pm that same evening I had received an email from BT saying I had gone over 18GB of my 20GB monthly allowance!!  Really??

All I did in those 4 hours between 5.30pm and 9.30pm was set up my devices to work with the new hub, check facebook and my husband probably browsed ebay, we didn't download any films, didn't watch any iplayer, didn't download music or anything like that.  So how on earth did we use up over 18GB in under four hours?

And the best of it is, in an email in reply to my complaint, they said I actually used 42.85GB in October.  So according to them I used 42.85GB in one day as there was only one day left of October after I got connected.  At that rate that would mean I would use over 1200GB in one month surfing the internet!?!

I too have spoken to BT on the phone and asked them to show me where I used 18GB in under 4 hours and they couldn't, they also quoted data protection to me, ppfft, they also said I wouldn't get charged this time, well too right I won't be getting charged!   I started checking my usage every day from 1st November and according to the usage monitor I have been using under 1GB per day and done nothing different from that last day in October where they say I used 42.85GB.  

So where did the 18GB in four hours come from, and the 42.85GB in one day come from?   Is it even possible to download 18GB of data on a 38mb speed in under four hours? Something isnt right somewhere.

0 Ratings
Keeffuscake
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Have now received an email to say that there will be a charge of £10.60.indicating that the usage was exceeded by at least 10gb even though on the 1st Nov it clearly showed 17gb. I have tried to view October's usage again but when the dates are plugged in it says there was no chargeable usage for this period. How do BT get away with this? I guess by making it incredibly difficult to get hold of anybody willing to resolve it. Genius. Well done. You must be very proud.
0 Ratings