cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spacepilot
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 20

Re: Unbelievably slow connection for the past week in Manchester!

Go to solution

they did that to me, insisting their computer said i needed a new hub (cough!), so they had to send me one, even though i did not use their hub. after a 6 day loss of service, the line returned a day before the new hub arrived. the signal has been poor since then, and now is abismal by the day. before july, i was on 4800kbps.

Date

Download Speed

Upload Speed

31 Aug 12:16

339 kbps (42.4kB/s)

377 kbps (47.1kB/s)

31 Aug 11:49

341 kbps (42.6kB/s)

237 kbps (29.6kB/s)

31 Aug 08:47

339 kbps (42.4kB/s)

379 kbps (47.4kB/s)

30 Aug 10:36

340 kbps (42.5kB/s)

302 kbps (37.8kB/s)

30 Aug 09:13

340 kbps (42.5kB/s)

381 kbps (47.6kB/s)

29 Aug 15:53

729 kbps (91.1kB/s)

337 kbps (42.1kB/s)

28 Aug 10:24

1963 kbps (245kB/s)

382 kbps (47.8kB/s)

Jul 22, 01:53

2418 kbps (302kB/s)

375 kbps (46.9kB/s)

Jul 10, 17:25

2420 kbps (303kB/s)

369 kbps (46.1kB/s)

Jul 9, 14:09

2422 kbps (303kB/s)

381 kbps (47.6kB/s)

Jul 7, 14:04

2428 kbps (304kB/s)

381 kbps (47.6kB/s)

Jul 6, 15:31

2423 kbps (303kB/s)

380 kbps (47.5kB/s)

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/

bt are allegedly looking into my fault, as i am beyond the faulty hub bat.

my problems where caused by faults at the exchange / the engineers changing over to btinfinity. i have been promised normal service within 2 hours, so don't give up trying to get a fix, even if they try to teach you how to suck eggs, and don't know their elbows from other bodily parts.

welcome to the world of last wednesday week.

there's now't wrong with 2 cans and a piece of string. at certain times, it is often faster.

0 Ratings
daibhmac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

Well, after much chaos and confusion, I bit the bullet and phoned BT... after a lot of really patronising advice ("have you tried clearing your internet explorer cache?"), I finally got them to agree to send me out a new Home Hub. Having been with BT for 3 years and using the 1.0 version, I think a free upgrade was the very least they could do.

It arrived today (just two days after ordering - result!), and I set it up about 30 minutes ago... and voila! From speeds of 0.5mbps I am now roaring ahead with 12mbps speeds.

The upshot? Despite numerous people telling me that it 'didn't matter whether I had 1.0 or 2.0' and it was 'far more likely that my line was noisy' etc..., my internet has gone from barely usable an hour ago on the old hub, to lightening fast now on the 2.0 hub. 

One thing I will say however, is that the forum moderators on here are excellent. Not only did they run numerous checks for me (which just confirmed that there was nothing wrong with my line), but their communication with me was fantastic. I feel sure that if it had been a line fault, they would have done everything in their power to fix it for me. So my faith in BT has been somewhat restored by their expertise - why aren't THESE the people we get on the phone??

Good luck to everyone else facing speed problems, I really hope you find a solution soon, because I know how frustrating it is not to have a reliable internet service. And hey, if you're using an old hub and stats/line profile look fine, maybe give BT a call and demand a new hub. It's your right to have equipment that works.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

I am having the same problem in Bedford but the thought of phoning BT for help (again) fills me with dread. I went away on holiday for three weeks and when I returned the speed had plummeted - and is still the same. 

This has happened before and my phone socket and filters have been off for checking so often they know their own way back again!  However, you have given me hope...............who did you phone?

0 Ratings
Stevie_A
Beginner
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

Same thing has happened to me, since Tue 15th Feb the connection has gone extremely slow and sometimes stopped. I am on the East Manchester exchange. My results are a pitiful 0.1 Mbps, download, like being back on dial up. Every night this week I have been onto technical help with India trying different sockets, line tests, speed test, hub resets, promises of engineers etc and still suffering 4 days later.

I did wonder whether it had anything to do with Infinity and whether that was using up all the bandwidth but I don't know how the technology works.

All I do know is it is extremely frustrating after years of trouble free service I'm tempted to leave if this persist much longer.

Regards

Steve

0 Ratings
lmosley
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

Could be a line faut but could also be FUP kicking in. What package are you on and is it slow 24/7 or only at evenings?

Also Infinity uses VDSL so dont think it effects ADSL as its different technology 😉

0 Ratings
Stevie_A
Beginner
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution
Seems slow all the time but even more so at peak times. I am on Broadband option 1 using a homehub connecting wireless. It does not get any better with the ethernet cable though. Convinced its not a problem in the house.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Stevie_A
Beginner
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

This is output from the speed checker

Download speed achieved during the test was - 117 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :3168 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

Could this be BT squeezing the pipeline to improve the take up of infinity?

Call me cynical

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

Stevie (or should that be cynical Smiley Wink ). You should post your router stats and more help will, I'm sure, be forthcoming. Don't want to teach granny to suck eggs but the address of your router (assuming it's an HH) is 192.168.1.254 - type that into your browser and then return. Then you need to search for the stats (sorry I don,t use the HH router) and post them here.

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Stevie_A
Beginner
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution
Thanks for this but BT Engineers say I'll have to wait 31 hrs and they will sort it back to >2MB. It will be almost a week by then.

Product Name BT Home Hub
Firmware Version 6.2.6.E
Board Version V10
ADSL Uptime 0 days, 21:54:57
Bandwidth 448 / 3,168
Broadband Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Wireless Security WEP-64
Wireless Channel 11
Firewall Standard
VPI/VCI 0 / 38
Line Profile Interleaved

Not sure what stats you mean
0 Ratings
Stevie_A
Beginner
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

Perhaps you meant this stuff?

Link Information Uptime: 1 day, 14:40:08

Modulation: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,168

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 41.40 / 213.41

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 18.0 Line

Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.5 / 42.0 SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 9.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0 Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2 / 0 FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 47,813 CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 452 HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 399

Line Profile: Interleaved

0 Ratings