Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DoftheG
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Understanding British broadband

This is on behalf of my mother.

I live in the Netherlands and regularly visit my mother in London and use her PC. She uses BTconnect but her broadband connection is unbelievably slow for broadband. I did a speedcheck and her speed is 0.25mb!! I have called BT on regular occaisions for her and they come up with the same excuses (HUB, distance from exchange and the amount of people using the net)

OK so these are legit reasons BUT you NEVER have these problems in Holland. My exchange is further away then it is here where my mother lives and I get a reliable and regular 8mb internet speed, HUB doesn't make a blind difference if your speed is **bleep** in the first place and I use my internet at peak times in Holland and the speed never wavers.

So what is the real reason?

Does anyone know what kind of cables are used in Britain? Why is the speed so slow over here and yet the cost of it is as high as Holland but speed and reliability **bleep**? London is the capital city of England and all they can come up with is 0.25mb?

Would another provider be faster or do they all use the BT line so anyone would be just as slow? Please tell me how it all works over here. Seriously the UK needs to catch mainland Europe up when it comes to Internet speeds and costs.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: Understanding British broadband

Hi there

The "old" 20cn network running adslMax is transmitted down old copper telephone wires.

Some lines are aged, some are not so aged, nevertheless the routes and line conditions are conducive to picking up induced noise in a large number of cases, which causes poor throughput.

The logistics of running a network on old phone lines is well documented, and at best, a nightmare for some people.

The onset and roll-out of a fibre network, which has started, will see vast improvements over the years to come for many.

But UK is well behind some European countries when it comes to implementing digital technology, and a lot of the problems are down to lack of investment in bygone years.  IMHO

It's not that we don;t know how to do it .... it's getting somebody to pay for it...   🙂

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 14

You appear to be assuming that your mothers service is typical. 

It isn't. 

You say that you never have these (slow speed) problems in Holland - do you have no long lines ?  No faults ?

Your mothers slow speed will almost certainly be due to one of two things:

1) a fault, or

2) the laws of physics.

🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Redflake
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 14

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/equip.htm

Read It and Weep! 

Thats when it works.

Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 14

To be honest putting broadband down phone lines in Holland is no different to doing it in UK.

The main pointers for broadband investment between the two countries is that Holland has an estimated population of 16.6 million circa 2010 estimate, whereas UK is roughly 66.7 million people.

You don't need to be Einstein to work the sums out for investment and procurement.   😉

Also 25% of Holland lies below sea level, where putting cables in ducts would be shady at best.

I'm guessing most of theirs would be overhead on poles, (more space for tulips 😉  )

0 Ratings
DoftheG
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Thanxs for your replies.

One thing I forgot to mention was her location. She lives in Barnes SW London and her exchange (according to BT) is Hammersmith. Now this is seperated by the Thames does that make a difference? Also do other internet providers biggyback on BT lines? If so then moving to someone else probably wouldn't make much of a difference, right?

Apologies if my first post kind of sounded like a Britain v Holland contest. Man Very Happy

0 Ratings
DoftheG
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

All I'm saying is the distance between my mothers PC in Barnes and the BT exchange in Hammersmith is 2-3miles. The distance between my PC and my providers exchange is 11miles and yet my speed is 8times faster and I pay the same per month as her.

They have found no fault on her line and cant seem to get above the magic 1mb (fastest she has ever managed was last year 0.8mb) Yet when you read the print they talk about 'getting you ready for fast broadband' and the old 'UP TO 20mb broadband speed' shiner.

It's all a con and I'm angry they have tricked her into a contract knowing she would NEVER get fast broadband. To me it appears their lines are of poor quality in that area. Maybe someone might know of what BT runs round that area?

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 14

To find out what other providers use  (piggyback) depends on the exchange, try http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search  , just enter the postcode of the address, this will explain the exchange and what's available.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
DoftheG
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Thanxs for that link. But I haven't got a clue what I am looking at http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LWHAM Does this exchange provide a fast broadband speed for customers? EDIT Her best option is Sky I think.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 14

If things go to plan .... it will do at the end of the year.

The link gives types of service available and providers for those services.

0 Ratings