Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tom_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: Understanding Noise Margin, Line Attenuation & Signal Attenuation

@imjolly wrote:

are you using the test socket to elimiante any problems caused by your internal wiring?

Thinking about it, I'm not sure what internal wiring that would be - unless you mean the internal wiring inside the socket?

On that, I bought a splitter this afternoon and tried installing it into the test socket late this evening, but without success. I got the splitter into the test socket, of course, but even after several minutes the router didn't come back up, the big 'b' just kept flashing red. I note that the splitter describes itself as an ADSL micro-filter - is that not the right item? I had read that there was no difference between ADSL and VDSL splitters/filters.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 12 of 19

Correct, the filters are the same.

0 Ratings
tom_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 19

@pippincp wrote:

Correct, the filters are the same.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll try again tomorrow morning.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 19

there is no difference in the filters and connecting to test socket should give best connection not no connection at all. Are you sure that is the master socket and not and extension using a master socket. Is it the first socket where openreach line enters your home

when you connect to the test socket do any sockets still have a dial tone?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tom_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 19

@imjolly wrote:

Are you sure that is the master socket and not and extension using a master socket. Is it the first socket where openreach line enters your home

Yep - from the pole right outside my house, to the eaves, down to the garage wall, into the garage, through the wall into the house midway along the garage, round the understairs cubby, then into the hall where the socket is. On the hall side of that route is that OpenReach socket.

0 Ratings
tom_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 19

Sorted now. I hadn't removed all the bits of the socket. It's a very strange multi-layer thing. The lowest level may well be very old - pre-broadband.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 19

There is something wrong as the one place your connection should work is in the test socket with a filter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tom_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 19

Just thought I'd come back with an update on this issue.

Things seems to have improved, as a result of intervention by BT engineers. I kept calling BT helpline and kept getting not very far with them. At one point i was told I'd be sent a new Home Hub which didn't arrive so I rang again (several times) to query where it was. Turned out there was nothing in the record of the earlier call about being sent a new router! But never mind - the assistant I was talking to ran the usual tests and unusually - uniquely, in fact - found an issue with the broadband connection. As a result she raised a Fault (!) and passed it straight to engineering, and I started getting sms messages from them. That was on Tuesday, at a time when the Noise Margin was very much up and down, between just over 3 and almost 0. After a couple of further disconnects the connection has now been up for almost three days - the best duration for almost two months - and interestingly the Noise Margin is now 4. It's much more stable around that figure, as well - the variation seems to be between 3.9 and 4.3 or so, with long periods of no variation at all.

I've also noticed that the Connection Speed value has dropped a bit as well. While these problems were going on it was typically up at around 68 mbps, but since the increase of Noise Margin to 4 the Connection Speed has dropped to just under 64 mbps. I'm happy with losing a bit of speed if I've got a stable connection. (I believe there's a relationship between Noise Margin and Connection speed? - I'd be grateful if someone could point me towards something that would explain that.)

So I've closed the fault; I can re-open it, or raise another one, if the problem starts again.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 19

Try here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm.  That is adsl but in principle similar for vdsl

0 Ratings