Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajh79
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Understanding noise margin, attention etc

Go to solution
Can anyone help me understand if the stats reported by my HH5 are OK?

My cabinet is a 2 minute walk away so I am very close to it.

I always read how the noise margin should be 6db but mine is massively higher. Is my close proximity to the cabinet the reason?

6. Data rate: 9999 / 54935
7. Maximum data rate: 29552 / 124964
8. Noise margin: 22.5 / 25.4
9. Line attenuation: 11.8 / 11.1
10. Signal attenuation: 11.9 / 11.2

If anyone can provide a dumbed down explanation to lines 8, 9, and 10 then that would be appreciated.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Understanding noise margin, attention etc

Go to solution
A higher noise margin is a good thing when you're close to the source of the signal

As you're very close, the max speed your line could potentially support is 124mbps. As you're on Infinity 1, this is capped at 55meg. This means that your line can afford to have a huge noise margin, offering more "protection" against noise events.

6db is the target margin as below this, lines can become unstable.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Because you are on Infinity 1, your connection speed is being restricted to about 55Mbs. The maximum possible rate is showing as about 124Mbs, so there is a large margin of unused bandwidth, hence the large noise margin.

If you upgraded to Infinity 2, your connection speed would be 80Mbs, but there would still be plenty of margin.

0 Ratings
ajh79
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Thanks for the explanation guys.
0 Ratings