cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdwardHill
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Undiagnosed fault after 2 weeks

Second time i am typing this post, first time i decided to spellcheck and lost everything, i guess that will make it a little more brief and readable though. 1. I believe i have a faulty modem, is there any recommended replacement for the openreach modem i can buy. 2. Is there any diagnostic interface on the modem 3. Is there any advice or other thing i can try to resolve this issue The Problem. My home hub is showing a solid blue power and wireless lights, and no boradband light, the open reach modem is showing a solid green powere and dsl lights. All cables have been replaced with known working ones, with a reboot of both devices after each change. I've powered off the modem for 4 hours incase there was a heat issue, still no chage to the boradband light on the home hub. If i swap the network cable from lan 1 to lan 2 on the openreach modem i get a flashing orange boradband light on the home hub. I've unplugged all other phones and taken every other step i can think of to at least diagnose the fault. BTs Customer Service? I Initially reported this issue on the 7th of June, I've been told it was routine maintenance on my exchange, it was a server crash at the exchange, to go away and the problem would be fixed when i was back (i had to go overseas for a few days). I've had people go silent for 2-5 min, been hung up on 3 times, and i always remain calm and polite when talking to people just to avoid giving them an excuse to end the call. The latest outcome is that the quickest an engineer will be able to get here is the 26th, the problem has still not being narrowed down, and i'm going to have to book another morning off work to get this fixed. I really wish it was possible to talk to some one in the UK with the technical know how to diagnose this problem, and possibly even resolve it. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as i have only been with BT for a matter of weeks before this issue first arose, and will by the time the engineer arrives had about a 50% uptime on my connection.
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Undiagnosed fault after 2 weeks

Hi

Just to confim a few things.

1. You are on BT Infinity?

2. On the BT Homehub, does the BroadBand light flash orange and then purple or is it not illuminated at all?

3. On the Openreach Modem, does the LAN light flash at all?

ptan

0 Ratings
EdwardHill
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Infinity 2 When the network cable is attached to lan 1 i get no light on the modem for the lan 1 connection, and the broadband light on the home hub is off. When i tried using lan 2 i got a flashing green lan 2 light on the modem and a flashing orange broadband light on the home hub. If you think any more details would help please ask
0 Ratings
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Hi

The Openreach modem has stickers over LAN2 and the USB connector. They are not used.

The only thing I can suggest is that the openreach modem is faulty on LAN1. If there are no LAN lights flashing (lights next to the port connector itself) on the Openreach modem then it is faulty and you need to have another one installed. You will need to raise this with BT.

You can of course use another VDSL modem. I have used a Draytek2850 and it works very well. It is a combined VDSL modem and Firewall Router. It has 4 gigabit network connectors. Also, it means that you only have one device for Infinity connection instead of two cluttering things up.

There are various models of the Draytek. The basic one that I have does not have wireless. The next two models have Wireless and also the top of the range has VoiceoverIP with connectors for VOIP phones.

ptan

0 Ratings
EdwardHill
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the reply, after having the kit installed for such a short period of time before it failed I think i will be very seruously considering buying some. Especially when it takes so long to get an some one to send an engineer, and then the wait till the appointment also being very long. If i can find a Draytek 2850, the wireless model for close to £200 i'll pick one up, but i'll still be very disapointed to have been provided with such poor kit in the first palce.

0 Ratings