cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dawsy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Unexplained broadband Usage

After having a limited data package on standard broadband for almost 3 yrs starting at 10 gig and now 15 gig I find myself way over the limit for the first time.
My average usage is 6/7 gig. This last month clocks nearly 40gig!!! Costing £1-80 for each gig over 15! Spent hours on help trying to solve this. All the things point to a fault at bts end but nobody will admit it. Password change and all the suggestions taken. All to no avail. Away from the house with nothing connected clocked a massive 10gig in one day! In absolute desperation after being told it was Facebook and cloud use pulled the router plug out and now have no internet writing this on my mobile! You wouldn't believe that with NO router I clocked 5gig in 24hrs! Impossible yes but nobody will take the issue seriously despite my records! I have been forced to upgrade. It's really frustrating. Even with no router nobody will admit it could be a fault on their side. I really feel powerless and 3hrs going round in circles has driven me mad. Anyone out there any ideas how to get BT to admit to a fault instead of suspecting that someone is leeching the connection which is certainly not the case.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Unexplained broadband Usage

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Have you changed/updated your OS of your PCs? Win 10 can consume loads with its updates.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Yes that's a good point and I know Windows 10 is big on upgrades! and uses a lot more data that previous versions. I am aware of when they occur and indeed how to prevent them. This current issue is not anything in my control. 18 gig disappeared in 2 days with nothing connected in the house! With the router disconnected 6gig disappeared the next day.
I know other BT customers have had the same issues from the forums. I think I know why BT won't admit anything their side could possibly go wrong. The data monitor can't be brought in to question! Having spent hours on the help lines I realise that the staff answering are trying to help me. They are not allowed to say anything that might be construed as a company responsibility. The router was unplugged on Monday 30th and has not been on since! Yet the tech staff can only tell me what type of data is disappearing ! Not why and where from.
When the only solutions given are to change the password, move the router out of the window and go unlimited ! That done doesn't stop them saying it again and even when the router is off I am given the same advice. I am wondering what's the final bill for extra data going to be by the time the upgrade comes through. Thanks GG for the link. I guess they don't treat older folk any differently!
0 Ratings
Frustrated111
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Have you managed to make any progress with this yet? I am still going round in the same ridiculous circles with BT about my mum's high spike in usage over several months.

It has mysteriously reset to normal levels since I complained but BT maintain that they have done nothing at their end to change anything, and insist that their data monitor cannot be wrong. Based on my most recent contact with them, they seem unable to grasp that there is a potential issue about misrecording of data useage that requires investigation because it impacts other users as well as my mum. They will only deal with each case in isolation and although they have offered a deal on unlimited BB and to refund charges incurred, I still want to know what has gone wrong, and have asked that they review the way this has been handled.

They cannot offer any explanation for the high BB usage other than unauthorised access (and theft of the wifi password) which simply is not a viable explanation for many reasons. BT waver between accepting that the BB useage is very strange and agreeing it is highly unlikely that my mum used the data, to insisting she has used it because their reports say so. Its like a rather farcical good cop / bad cop scenario. Last night it was the bad cop that aggressively denied any issue and treated me with a level of disrespect I found astonishing. He did back off when he realised that he had completely overlooked the issue about the mismanagement of this complaint, and so had not appreciated that he was not offering any new information. He went on to blame his collegues for not clearly documenting what they had agreed to follow up and/or for making undeliverable promises.

The complaint has been passed around 3 different managers since it was escalted, none of whom had looked at the case in detail and so were unable to resolve anything when they finally get around to phoning (rarely on time, even if I phone to seek a response). I find myself constantly repeating everything to a new person who then does not do what they agree to do and so we start again. I have requested that someone take sole ownership of the complaint so that I can make some progress but it seems BT cannot operate that way.

Currently waiting for manager number 4 to phone me back so we can repeat the charade yet again.    

0 Ratings
Dawsy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

It's just like groundhog Day. My experience echos yours and I am not now making calls and am going to put it in writing. I switched off the router and have no doubt that the problems are on BTs side and they know that a number of customers have had the same issues. I had 5g taken with the router off. I only connected back when the infinity router arrived and yes miraculously usage was back to normal levels. I have spent three hours on the phone going around the loop and am like you not getting anywhere. I was actually ring by a technical supervisor who said that he was dealing with my complaint and would look into it and get back . That was 10 days ago. I actually am convinced he was going to give the the same answer as last time. I will now only write it down now as the phone line frustration has ground me down. My wife is furious and thinks that we should not only have the data charges dropped but also be compensated for all the time and angst caused. Not to mention having to upgrade and pay for the privilege. I really hope you make some progress your determination has been tested !
0 Ratings