cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Unexplained high data usage - help me!

According to my usage data we are currently about 20gb over our 45gb limit for this month.

The only thing that has changed in terms of our activity is that my daughter got a tablet at the end of last month, but i turned the connection off when i got my warning email so no more downloads could be made on it (sometime in the middle of last week).

Looking back to january our daily usage averaged around 1gb (which is consistent with the monthly average of 30gb according to the mybt app) but our average over the last few days (i.e. since the tablet was disconnected) has been around 5gb.

The person i dealt with via the online chat just said that the usage was correct (but presumably they're just looking at the output from the usage monitor like i am) and could only suggest changing the password on the hub to stop anyone else accessing it. I said that no-one else would have the current information to log in. I was then told that nothing else could be discussed about it until the relevant bill is generated.

If we carry on using 5gb a day it will have cost another £80/£90 by then for going over our limit!!

Does anyone have any suggesting as to what we could be doing to have changed our usage so significantly? Or could this be an error on bt's side that i should pursue further?

Thanks for your help!!

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Unexplained high data usage - help me!

Go unlimited any never think about it again.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

It's not been an issue at any other time since we joined bt though, and so i'm loathe to upgrade based on something that appears incorrect that they can't explain to me! Also, to go unlimited would mean starting a new 12 month minimum contract with them which i'm not sure I want to do.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Re: Unexplained high data usage - please help me!

Does anyone have any ideas? Please?!

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 16

Do you know the split between downloads and uploads as Windows 10 default is to allow any updates to be uploaded from your computer to any other.

See this link for more info   https://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the...

Another reason for high uploads is a virus/malware is involved

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

I already checked and that is turned off on my computer. Uploads are about 4gb, rest downloads.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 16

@benjiengy wrote:

I already checked and that is turned off on my computer. Uploads are about 4gb, rest downloads.

Thanks

Have you recently got a 'smart' tv perchance or has anybody in your home got a smart phone?

Is it possible that your daughter has re-enabled the connection on her tablet?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

No new purchase of tvs or phones, and my daughter is only 3 so definitely not able to reconnect the wifi on her tablet (though i did check just in case!).

Downloaded a data tracker to my phone to try to help me understand, and found something very odd. At 6 o'clock this morning, within the space of about 20 minutes i used around 700mb of data!! i was awake and on my phone at this time (feeding a baby) but just doing ordinary browsing on websites i look at every day.

Any ideas what could have used that amount of data in such a short time???

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

App updates?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

iCloud backup?
0 Ratings