Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 29

Re: Unexplained high data usage

Go to solution

@john46 wrote:
personally I very much doubt if it is a hub problem more like a data reporting error at BT's end

Have to agree with john46. I fail to see how a new hub is going to resolve your problem.

dlaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 29

Go to solution
I also very much doubt it, as I told both people I spoke to on the phone! However, it has gone down the last two days, but then I haven't seen my neighbour either, who may have got reconnected recently.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 29

Go to solution

I think you are going down the wrong path as regards your neighbour. I don't think it is physically possible for you to share the same connection.

0 Ratings
_dreamer_
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 29

Go to solution

Have you considered changing hub password and seeing what happens?

0 Ratings
dlaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 29

Go to solution

@gg30340 - You may be right about my neighbour, but I also consider it not physically possible for a disconnected device to be using data! I doubt we are using the same connection, but maybe his (or someone else's) usage has been attributed to my account? Yes, I'm clutching at straws, but since BT will not give me an explanation...

@_dreamer_ - Yes, and I've also completely logged onto the hub to check that no unrecognised devices have connected to it.

So, my Hub has been completely disconnected since the 3rd, and yet my data is still increasing... 5.77 GB so far this month, most of which I believe was yesterday.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 29

Go to solution

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take twenty four hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 17 of 29

Go to solution

Hi @dlaw,

I'll be able to take a look at this for you. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
feegee
Contributor
Message 18 of 29

Go to solution

@dlaw, i sincerely hope you have more success in your quest than i did. I had high usage starting on that date too (no where near as high as yours though, i generally use between 4 - 5 GB a month but it seems i was using 7 or 8 a day when this happened)  despite my hub being unplugged for the best part of the day for a couple of days and it went on for around 7 days . No one could give me an explanation as to why it happened and i don't have the brains to figure it out for myself so i will watch your post with interest to see how you get on.

Fee.

0 Ratings
dlaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 29

Go to solution

So, after previously being told over the phone that there was a fault with my equipment, and that I would have to wait until my bill came out, which it did yesterday, before any refund (£57 excess charge) would be processed, I now have BT phoning me to tell me that there was no fault and the charge would still stand. Apparently their "data is never wrong".

Judging by the number of similar threads on these community forums, that is a complete and utter lie. My data usage still went up on days where my HomeHub was completely turned off. My data usage has returned somewhat to normal since receiving a replacement HomeHub 3, although I still think it has increased over my normal daily usage, in line with when BT told me my Infinity speed would be increasing - so the HomHub seems to be creating traffic of its own.

I've spent numerous days over the past few weeks without internet in an effort to try and troubleshoot the problems with the data usage, and prove that the data usage wasn't my own. So, in effect, I'm being overcharged for a service I haven't even been able to use. It was BT customer services that suggested I turn off everything for a few days, without any compensation for the lack of service.

Safe to say, if this doesn't get resolved with the manager callback I should receive later today, I will be cancelling my services with BT and escalating this through the Ombudsman Services.

0 Ratings
dlaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 29

Go to solution

I did finally get the data charges refunded last month, although the manager did not have the decency to call me back himself. I was told that due to my previous usage they would let the charges go this time, but if it happened again I would have to pay for the excess data charges, i.e. BT were still not accepting there was a fault on their end.

However, lo and behold, I got an email from them yesterday!

We overcharged you £ so we're paying it back
Hello,

We're sorry but, because of a glitch in our system, we accidently charged you too much for your broadband usage between 22 June and 30 June. You might have noticed the higher charge on your latest bill.

We've now fixed the problem and we'll add a credit to your account for the £ we overcharged you. You'll see that on your next bill or the one after, depending on when we usually send it.

You don't need to do anything. But if you've got any questions, you can call us on 0800 800 150.

Sorry again for the mistake.

Thanks,

Libby Barr
Managing Director, Customer Care

In the meantime, I have already scaled down my services and will go onto a rolling contract this month - when I move house later this year I have no intention of continuing with BT!

0 Ratings