Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QLF
Beginner
Message 21 of 29

Re: Unexplained high data usage

Go to solution

My experience of unexplained high data usage, since 27th August, has been similar to recent forum members; in particular, an ostensible data usage of about 0.7 GB per day: despite negligible daily use (less than 0.05 GB) ...  and ... despite the fact the my router was switched off for an uninterrupted period of 32 hours, including a full 24-hour 'billing cycle' (2nd September).

However, whilst I accept that there will always be glitches that are either difficult to explain or perhaps unexplainable - much less resolvable - I assert that repeated lying by diverse members of BT's technical department is not merely unacceptable but truly vile.

Everyone, from the Chairman and the Chief Executive to the least-paid employee, should be constantly aware of the vulnerable members of our society: and their interests can only be served by truth.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 22 of 29

Go to solution

Do you have anything else connected to your BB e.g. a 'smart, internet enabled tv'  a smart blu ray player, a nowtv box or a sky box?

Does anybody else have your BB username/password?

0 Ratings
QLF
Beginner
Message 23 of 29

Go to solution

Q. Do you have anything else connected to your BB e.g. a 'smart, internet enabled tv'  a smart blu ray player, a nowtv box or a sky box?

A. No ... ad nauseam [incidentally, I do not have - nor ever had - a smartphone]. I've been asked these questions innumerable times: but each questioner seems totally incapable of understanding the word 'No'.

Q. Does anybody else have your BB username/password?

A. No.

PS BT has the technical equipment to determine precisely when and where a customer's router is switched on and off. So, although BT may exercise their dubious right to question my veracity, it is irrelevant: I switched off the router for an interrupted period of 32 hours, including a complete 24 hour 'billing cycle' ... and BT merely needs to use the technical equipment at its disposal ... and not rely on the 'usage monitor', which has a chequered history going back several years.

PPS BT's technical department have a moral and legal obligation to conduct itself in a professional manner: not to bamboozle any customer, least of all one who may be vunerable or one who is not 'tech-savvy'. 

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 29

Go to solution

Ok. Btw switching the router off during the day your bill is generated won't make much difference as you'll be getting billed for any usage outwith your download allowance - assuming you have a limited allowance.

The only thing I can possibly suggest to try is to turn off the BT Wifi sharing - the part of your BB that creates a shared wifi network, not your own home wifi. You might see it called 'BT wifi' or 'BT Wifi with Fon' in a list of wifi networks.

It definitely shouldn't show up in your own BB usage but worth a try to see if it makes any difference.

Assuming you have a HomeHub4 or 5

Go to: http://bthub.home/

What does 'Bt Wifi Status' show under 'My Services'?

If it is turned on it can be turned off via:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12958/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi

This would stop you being able to connect your devices to bt wifi network when out and about but if you never do this then not really an issue.

As I said it really shouldn't make a difference but just in case...!

0 Ratings
QLF
Beginner
Message 25 of 29

Go to solution

Firstly, I apologise; I hadn't realized that a customer is seemingly required to act as broadband technician because BT abrogates its contractural obligations in this respect.

Secondly, on the evening of 1st September, I followed exactly a BT supervisor's instructions with respect to switching the router OFF - and the reason for doing so [i.e., so he could identify the technical issue, presumably using the relevant technical tools available to BT]. Furthermore, he promised to phone me on 3rd September; he lied because he failed to do so ... and set the uniform pattern to the present (as the chat and phone transcripts will irrefutably confirm).

Thirdly,  I do appreciate your enthusiasm: but your sentence, "Btw switching the router off during the day your bill is generated won't make much difference as you'll be getting billed for any usage outwith your download allowance - assuming you have a limited allowance", is an inglorious mixture of factual inaccuracy and jargon.

Finally, it is becoming increasingly self-evident that expertise at BT and its proxies is distinguished by its absence.

PS Two references, from 2012 and 2014 respectively, illustrating the 'staying power' of this technical glitch:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3988083

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5025385

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 29

Go to solution

@QLF wrote:

Firstly, I apologise; I hadn't realized that a customer is seemingly required to act as broadband technician because BT abrogates its contractural obligations in this respect.

Secondly, on the evening of 1st September, I followed exactly a BT supervisor's instructions with respect to switching the router OFF - and the reason for doing so [i.e., so he could identify the technical issue, presumably using the relevant technical tools available to BT]. Furthermore, he promised to phone me on 3rd September; he lied because he failed to do so ... and set the uniform pattern to the present (as the chat and phone transcripts will irrefutably confirm).

Thirdly,  I do appreciate your enthusiasm: but your sentence, "Btw switching the router off during the day your bill is generated won't make much difference as you'll be getting billed for any usage outwith your download allowance - assuming you have a limited allowance", is an inglorious mixture of factual inaccuracy and jargon.

Finally, it is becoming increasingly self-evident that expertise at BT and its proxies is distinguished by its absence.

PS Two references, from 2012 and 2014 respectively, illustrating the 'staying power' of this technical glitch:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3988083

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5025385

You hadn't specified the reason you turned the router off on a particular day. Anyway good luck.

0 Ratings
QLF
Beginner
Message 27 of 29

Go to solution

Telecom89 [Expert] writes:

"You hadn't specified the reason you turned the router off on a particular day."

Give me strength!

I turned the router off for the particular day of the 2nd September because the BT supervisor instructed me to do so; this is surely self-evident from : "Secondly, on the evening of 1st September, I followed exactly a BT supervisor's instructions with respect to switching the router OFF [...], he promised to phone me on 3rd September."

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 28 of 29

Go to solution

I had assumed that you had come to this customer-to-customer forum in order to get some suggestions with regard to your issue rather than to vent your spleen and be wilfully rude and patronising to another customer who had tried to to give you assistance.

If what you write is any way indicative of how you speak to people I am far from surprised that you haven't been called back.

I shall trouble you and your usage issue no further.

0 Ratings
John345
Beginner
Message 29 of 29

Go to solution

I had the same issue when BT charged me over £100 for over 76 GBs usage in one month which I definitely did not use. BT only agreed after several calls to a refund provided I committed to a new high-speed unlimited usage 12 month contract. 2 weeks later the line went down and a BT engineer discovered a relay at the BT substation was faulty causing BTand my computer to continually ping non-stop 24/7.

Now the contract is up for renewal Bt want to renew the unlimited contact for £54.00 pcm when BT accounts say my monthly average usage is 0.03GBs per month yet BT broadband say my monthly usage is 32GBs average? As I am an OAP with a working wife and no kids at home, do not stream videos, watch broadband TV and mainly use the internet once or twice per day to email and catch up with the news what is going on? 

0 Ratings