cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djp9999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Unknown Devices appearing in Application Sharing

I have noticed a number of unknown devices are listed in the application sharing section of Hub Manager. Does this pose a security threat and is there any way I can prevent external access of this kind? There doesn't seem to be any way of removing them from the list.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
dmac
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Unknown Devices appearing in Application Sharing

AFAIK you can limit access to your device by MAC address, the physical address for the network card/wireless card in each device etc.

0 Ratings
tim1964
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

If you click on the unknown item it then gives you the option to delete it.

If you then hit “refresh” the list will show what is connected now as opposed to what was connected. For e.g. if you connect a laptop by Ethernet and later by wireless both connection will show up until you refresh the list.
0 Ratings
djp9999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for your reply.

I must be missing something, but I can't see where I can restrict access to MAC addresses.

0 Ratings
djp9999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for your reply.

I see where I can delete devices in the home network, but the problem is in the Application Sharing when you select Device and get the drop down list. Here I can see a number of unknown devices, that can't be removed. Although they are no longer connected, the issue for me is that they must have accessed my Homehub, even though it is not broadcasting the SSID. So my question is: Are they just able to piggy back on the connection for gaming, or can they get further into my network?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

I have several unknown devices on my hub which are my 3 powerline adapters have you something similar?

0 Ratings
djp9999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

I have a WD NAS, which gives itself a new IP address everytime I boot up the PC, but the devices in question are BOB and Garys Ipod, neither of which have anything to do with me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

Would this be anything to do with BT FON/Openzone

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
djp9999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

I just checked and I am opted out.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 11

@djp9999 wrote:

but the devices in question are BOB and Garys Ipod, neither of which have anything to do with me.

Is does sound like your hubs wireless encryption could of been compromisedSmiley Sad

Or a family member has given out the wireless key - maybe for a friend to use the broadband connection....

I'd change the wireless encryption key with immediate effect....

(note - The hub will not show what wireless device that is connected to the Fon/Openzone SSID, but some hubs do allow the user to check to see if the Fon/Openzone SSID is being used)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings