Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
riley
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

Unknown devices on my network

Hi all,

A bit puzzled; I am recieving notifications from BT that I am approaching 100GB this month. I don't see how this is possible but of course I don't have evidence to counter.

In investigating my Home Hub (v 2.0), I noticed that there was an unknown device connected wirelessly with a specific mac address. I deleted this device, but it keeps popping back, and seems to be always connected. It does not correlate to any of the devices in my house.

Does anyone know what these unknown devices are ? Could this be a squatter consuming large aounts of bandwidth ?

Also, according to the usage figures on my Homehub, I am consuming a total of 177MB every hour on average for the last three days. This seems ridiculous, but again how can I see what is going on ?

Thanks

Thanks

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Guru
Message 2 of 21

Re: Unknown devices on my network

It's not the hub phone .... is it?   😉

Is your wireless side of things secured?

0 Ratings
riley
Beginner
Message 3 of 21

I don't know, but don't think so;

The "Devices" diagram shows the hub at top of the hierarchy, and the hub phone as a separate leg (as for my wired laptop).

The wireless "leg" shows all the wirelessly connected devices - this includes for example my kid's iPhone, but there is still an extra wirelessly connected device I cannot account for.

Also, why does it keep reconnecting when I delete it ? That may suggest it is something to do with the hub !

Thanks

0 Ratings
riley
Beginner
Message 4 of 21

Sorry - yes, the security is turned on (WPA and WPA2).
0 Ratings
banz
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 21

Riley

You could try clicking on the device and from this u should see the ip address and whether its dhcp or static. This might 'give you a clue' as to what the device is.

If its a windows Pc then it will respond to nbtstat -A ip-address  with its name. This command needs to be typed at a command prompt.

However if its not windows not sure what else you can do to identify it

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 21

The hub phone will be to the right on the Home Network page on the hub manager and won't be displayed on the wireless devices listSmiley Wink

By default. The hub's wireless encryption is WPA/WPA2. Have you changed this allow your wireless devices to connect? Maybe to wep - easily cracked!

Is the hub in a window that members of the public can see. The wireless key is on the back and if the hub is positioned in the 'wrong' place, anyone can see itSmiley Surprised

To try:

Change the wireless key. Then reconnect each device - one at a time - and fix the LAN ip address for each item and name each one.

Turn off ALL your own wireless devices, refresh the list. Is anything still connected?

Check the mac address of each device and compare it to the unknown device.

Ask if anyone has give out the wireless key, maybe to a best friend.

(edit. note to self. Think of all possible solutions BEFORE logging in, typing and clicking postSmiley Very Happy)

nobody had replied when I was replyingSmiley Surprised

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Message 7 of 21

Can you set up a firewall rule to block that mac address ?

An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless.
banz
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 21

Just had the same thought - you can use the bt access control to stop internet acccess for that device for all day--ive never actually tried this but how hard can it beSmiley Happy

banz

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

On the old home hub there was an option not to allow a device to connect via wireless.

You simply unticked the box which said "Allowed on WLAN:". This blocked the MAC address of the device.
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 21

Good idea Keith

On the hub v2, go to BT Access Control, enable access control, on the drop down menu find the device and block it. I'm not sure but it looks like you may be able to block for 24hours. If not try 23.5 hours.

Has any device you own lost it's wireless connection?

@banz. Just re read the whole thread and noticed you've already mentioned BT Access ControlSmiley Surprised.

I'll give you the "good idea" alsoSmiley Wink

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings