Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Unlimited Faster Broadband & Extra TV Channels

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping for a little clarificaton here.

I have recently signed up for Unlimited faster broadband after talking with a representative. He advised me that as this was a package using the fibre connection to my cabinet like infinity and therefore was not using adsl.

As per this i required the engineer visit to modify my master socket and the HH5.

He said i could get the BT TV with youview and the extra channels as long as my connection was fast enough, as it was using the infiity TV infrastructure. 

I advised him that i did not want to sign up for tv straight away as my sky subscription still had time to run...

Since the broadband has been installed i have speedtested and am getting 15Mb like the minimum for infinity. 

I now have called up to subscribe to TV esssentails and Extra channels and have been told that i cannot get them as i require infinity to do so.

I have spoken to another advisor who agreed that as i am on the infinity infrastructure i should be able to get Extra channels, however the system would not let him select it.

He contacted his supervisor who said this was not possible as it was not an infinity package.

My Question is this.

If i am using the same infrastructure as infinity.

am gettting the same speeds as infinity.

am paying the same price as infinity.

i cannot see any technical reason why i cannot get the extra channels.

Does anyone know how i would get someone to look at this?

i would upgrade but am just too far from the exchange to get it (my neigbours a couple of houses down the street can!)

Many thanks in advance

Will

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Unlimited Faster Broadband & Extra TV Channels

check the adsl checker here and see what you can get

make sure it does says FTTC which suggests you can get infinity

speeds.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Hey wallerx,

thanks for the quick reply, here are my details. When i check my phone number in the BT website it tells me the fastest i can get is as below on "faster broadband" but i cannot get "infinity" (on the website & through customer services)

speeds.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

Peculiar set of circumstances. I will ask a Mod to look at this for you ....

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
Highlighted
Message 5 of 9

Hi Killerbadger,

I can look into this for you. Please send me in your details using the "Contact Us" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

Funny you should mention Faster Broadband. See my thoughts on this recent post (I'm no expert on this though).

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision-box/Extra-channels-via-the-power-adapter-connection/m-p/113795...

The way I understood it is as you described it. If your FTTC VDSL estimate is below 15Mbps then BT will still set you up for FTTC VDSL but will call it Faster Broadband and not Infinity.

Interesting that your results give a high above that but a low below that. I guess BT Retail go by the low figure?

So to me it sounds like the BT systems are correctly seeing a low estimate below 15Mbps, therefore not selling you Infinity, and therefore meaning you are not eligible for the TV services that require Infinity. A bit annoying of course if you can see a stable speed of 15+Mbps, but I suppose BT have to set general rules and can't cater for every individual customer's circumstances.

Still worth asking a mod to look into it though. You don't get if you don't ask. Smiley Happy

P.S.

From what I have read elsewhere the impacted figures relate to a customer self-install using a combined VDSL modem+router such as the BTHomeHub 5 possibly on an extension with a filter, whereas the clean figures relate to an OpenReach install using a separate OpenReach modem directly connected to the master socket? (That could be totally wrong though so please feel free to educate me if you know better.)

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Message sent PaddyB, cheers!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

@umpire wrote:

Funny you should mention Faster Broadband. See my thoughts on this recent post (I'm no expert on this though).

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision-box/Extra-channels-via-the-power-adapter-connection/m-p/113795...

The way I understood it is as you described it. If your FTTC VDSL estimate is below 15Mbps then BT will still set you up for FTTC VDSL but will call it Faster Broadband and not Infinity.

Interesting that your results give a high above that but a low below that. I guess BT Retail go by the low figure?

So to me it sounds like the BT systems are correctly seeing a low estimate below 15Mbps, therefore not selling you Infinity, and therefore meaning you are not eligible for the TV services that require Infinity. A bit annoying of course if you can see a stable speed of 15+Mbps, but I suppose BT have to set general rules and can't cater for every individual customer's circumstances.

Still worth asking a mod to look into it though. You don't get if you don't ask. Smiley Happy

P.S.

From what I have read elsewhere the impacted figures relate to a customer self-install using a combined VDSL modem+router such as the BTHomeHub 5 possibly on an extension with a filter, whereas the clean figures relate to an OpenReach install using a separate OpenReach modem directly connected to the master socket? (That could be totally wrong though so please feel free to educate me if you know better.)

clean means no issues with wiring 

impacted means issues with wiring including extensions

my connection is impacted because BT when they moved my master socket from upstairs to lounge they cut cable and used a bridging box to extend the cable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

@walkerx wrote:
clean means no issues with wiring 

impacted means issues with wiring including extensions

my connection is impacted because BT when they moved my master socket from upstairs to lounge they cut cable and used a bridging box to extend the cable.

Thanks for the info. I would guess that mine is also officially 'impacted' then.

When I got Infinity installed I wanted them to move the master socket from the second floor to the first floor. They said it was too high up to do properly there and then (3 storey house) but we agreed that they would make the old master socket a simple join point and use an existing external extension cable from it to the first floor to provide the path to the new master socket. So not a new single cable but it seems to work fine.

I'm not really concerned as I live very close to the cabinet and my clean low is 79.9 and my impacted low is 76.6. Also I only have Infinity 1 capped at 40 anyway. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings