Did you mean: 
Highlighted
WantInfinity
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Unreachable master socket

Go to solution

Hello there,

I'd like to get BT Infinity to replace my existing ADSL 2+ broadband. However, after the BT engineer installed phone line in my flat years ago, I assembled a wardrobe besides it. Now I can only reach the ADSL microfilter conneting to the master socket but the socket itself is unreachable.

Is it possible to connect ADSL microfilter to VDSL modem to get BT Infinity service?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Unreachable master socket

Go to solution

@WantInfinity wrote:

Hello there,

I'd like to get BT Infinity to replace my existing ADSL 2+ broadband. However, after the BT engineer installed phone line in my flat years ago, I assembled a wardrobe besides it. Now I can only reach the ADSL microfilter connecting to the master socket but the socket itself is unreachable.

Is it possible to connect ADSL microfilter to VDSL modem to get BT Infinity service?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi, Is it not possible for you to move the wardrobe while the Infinity is installed and then move it back again afterwards?

Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi WantInfinity,

If you get FTTC Broadband such as BT Infinity then an Openreach Engineer will probably need full access to the telephone Master Socket to replace it with a VDSL Filtered Master Socket like the image below:

vdsl-faceplate.jpg

However another forum member maybe able to tell you a bit more.

Hope that helps,

Cheers.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Guru
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

You don't use microfilters the VDSL filter is attached to the Master socket and he will need access to install it. Then a cable will just come out of it to the modem and HomeHub.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
Icarus
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

You will need to move the wardrobe as the Engineer will need to attached a SSFP.

Also its really best there is access to it all the time because if your line ever developes a fault BT would ask you to try a working phone into the test socket and the Engineer carrying out any repair work would need to run something called a PQT from the test socket as well.

If you left the wardrobe where it is I would imagine the engineer would send the job back as there was no access to Openreach line plant within the boundary of your property.

If that occurs more than twice Openreach will charge for a third visit, well charge BT, whether they then pass that onto you is up to them.

Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

The other answer but will probably cost you. is to get the engineer to abandon the existing socket and put the cable to a new one that is accessable. It is always good to be able to get to the master socket so that you can prove where any fault is and save you a fortune on engineers bills.

Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

If you have no extensions then using a microfilter will work.

Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@Bob1001 wrote:

The other answer but will probably cost you. is to get the engineer to abandon the existing socket and put the cable to a new one that is accessable. It is always good to be able to get to the master socket so that you can prove where any fault is and save you a fortune on engineers bills.

Then again it may be free!

WantInfinity
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Thank you all for your help. TBH the wardrobe has been fixed to the wall and it's really difficult to move.

I don't have extensions, maybe Deathtrap3000's suggestion worth trying?
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@WantInfinity wrote:

I don't have extensions, maybe Deathtrap3000's suggestion worth trying?

It will work, but the engineer may not want to fit it that way as its not the standard way of installing infinity.

0 Ratings