Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
willowen100
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Unresponsive Connection Whilst Playing Online Video Games

Hey fellow BT users

I have the BT Infinity 2 package with 75Mbps download and 21Mbps upload (actual speeds compared to advertised speeds), and I'm struggling with online games in the fact I’m dying in a b******t way. I’ve watched how my friends play and think that used to be me; precise, accurate, quick gun shots, and now I’ve progressively got worse and I blame my internet. My friends who have slower internet than me are literally having a walk in the park online, something I too used to experience on my 8Mbps download and 0.9Mbps upload ADSL2+ connection 2 years ago.

I have literally tried everything on my end from switching back to the HH5, directly connecting the fibre modem, switching the fibre modem box off for 12 hours and even QoS to reduce lag when bandwidth from other devices are using the internet. No difference. Interestingly I phoned up the tech support nearly 12 months ago and asked them to sort it out, they reset the profile or something and wow, I had amazingly responsive internet in my games for about a week, before it went back to the normal **bleep**. I phoned up a second time and asked them if they could repeat the reset from the last time and said they can’t, and couldn’t see what the first guy would have done to fix it. It certainly wasn't a placebo effect as my game's statistics **bleep** up and I remember the game being so much smoother.

The fibre broadband is the only reason I’m paying for it because when I do have time to game I like to be enjoyable, and it certainly is not when I have restrictions affecting my gameplay. I’m not sure if it’s possible, but it’s like my line is being pushed too hard causing instability. Is there any software/hardware tools and tests I can do? Anyone got any suggestions?

Many thanks

Will

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Unresponsive Connection Whilst Playing Online Video Games

as a gamer are you using a wired connection?

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

are you connection to test socket with a new filter

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
willowen100
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

These are the stats from the Helpdesk page:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ53224024
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 04/11/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. WAN:PPP Connected
6. Data sent/received:2.6 MB / 97.6 MB
7. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
8. BT Wi-fi:Yes
9. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-TJFS
10. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
11. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
12. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
13. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-TJFS
14. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
15. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
16. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. Firewall:Default
18. MAC Address:a0:1b:29:75:b2:44
19. Software variant:AA
20. Boot loader:1.0.0
BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 | Last updated 04/11/15

Results from further diagnostics:

Test Results

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 72.32 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:

Upload Speed : 19.29 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

Telephone Number NUMBER on Exchange TOWN is served by Cabinet 1

WBC FTTPUp to 330Up to 30--Available----
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 12.5--10 to 14.5Available----
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 12.5Up to 110 to 14.5Available----
ADSL MaxUp to 5.5--4.5 to 6.5Available----
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available----
Fixed Rate2 ----Available----
VDSL Multicast------Available----
ADSL Multicast------Available----
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

from checker results there is no FTTC so are you on FTTP and infinity 2 using ont like this  which would explain lack of conection statsFTTP modem.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
willowen100
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Yes that's correct.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

No idea. Ping should be incredible with fttp, no such thing as interleaving etc
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

you never said if you are using wireless or wired for gaming - most gamers use wired

0 Ratings
SJGBUFC85
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Hi i have the same problem p2p is awful it has to be something to do with Latency.

It was fine at the start for a couple of weeks then just went also think i had the profile reset a while back and helped for a few days.

Also had this problem on plusnet.

I actually feel like getting downgrading from fibre as all the problems started when i got it give me aol dial up 4mb any day over this.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

@SJGBUFC85

Are you on FTTP or normal FTTC?

if FTTC then very unlikely same problem

0 Ratings
SJGBUFC85
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Mine is just the normal FTTC but still its not great if u cant p2p game without lag,delay.

0 Ratings