Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grawlings35819
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Unstable infinity 2 - always dropping connection

Hi

i have been experiancing a intermittent problem with my broadband, no matter how many times i report the fault & a engineer comes it never gets fixed, please can a MOD or whoever deals with these problems contact me

Details from HH5 helpdesk as follows

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ34654108
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 25/08/17
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 02:01:05
6. Data rate:19999 / 76343
7. Maximum data rate:23693 / 80008
8. Noise margin:15.2 / 4.8
9. Line attenuation:10.8 / 11.1
10. Signal attenuation:10.6 / 11.1
11. Data sent/received:16.6 MB / 249.0 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Disabled
23. MAC Address: 
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Unstable infinity 2 - always dropping connection

BT broke the HH5s with their latest software update.

You'll notice your downstream noise margin will slowly decrease until the HH resyncs the connection, causing the drop outs.

BT have not acknowledged the problem.

Your only option at this stage is to wait for them to fix it or buy a 3rd party router.
0 Ratings
grawlings35819
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

I actually only use a 3rd party router ( ASUS RT-AC68U ) & only re-connect the HH5 when a problem occurs
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

In that case, I'm sure someone will be along with regular troubleshooting steps.

have you done the quiet line test?
0 Ratings
grawlings35819
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

i dont own a corded phone to plug into the master socket, i literally use the line for broadband only
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

You really need to use a corded phone to check for line noise or no dial tone these will wreck a broadband service it can also save you the risk of 129.00 engineer charges if the problems are with internal wiring or equipment connected to it also useful in emergencies
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband.

The lack of any current flowing through the wires due to the lack of a phone providing an occasional loop, causes oxidisation at any joints which causes the line resistance to increase. This does not show up on a normal line test.

With Private Circuits it is common practice to allow a small "DC Wetting" current to flow through the line to prevent this problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetting_current

There are quite a few people like yourself that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £5) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better. It will get fixed quicker, as there are plenty of Field Technicians who can fix phone faults, but not many broadband ones.

You may find that the very act of plugging a phone in, and getting dial tone, fixes your broadband, as it breaks down any corrosion.

An interesting thread here http://www.broadbandbanter.com/showthread.php?t=29287

0 Ratings
grawlings35819
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

I just really want a MOD to look into this as they can see the account info & the numerous amount of faults reported etc

Please can only a MOD reply from now on

No offence to community contributers - Thank you for your replies & suggested solutions to resolve the matter

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

You will still be required to plug a phone in first, or risk the possibility of a £130 charge if the issue is due to your own wiring. Its much quicker to sort out a problem with the phone line, than a broadband problem.

If you could do that first please, and report back here with the results, then a moderator can be asked to help. They will only help if all other suggestions by forum members have failed to resolve the issue.

You need to connect things up as shown below, and see if there is any noise on the phone. Leave it like that, and see if you still get disconnections.

test_socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

100% test the line for noise first.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings