cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexdodson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Unstable ping >500ms

I recently joined BT and my ping was fine but for the past month my ping is awful and I can't find a fix.

Drivers up to date, spoke to BT they can find nothing.

Got perfect latencey half the time, the other half ping goes more than 400ms. Switches every 30 seconds, this is to all servers.

During spike: http://i.imgur.com/xmT0A4z.png

What it should be like : http://i.imgur.com/QATFm4a.png

Noticed its bad when people use the internet. Even so much as loading a one simple webpage makes it happen.

I have fibre broadband also. 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: Unstable ping >500ms

Is this happening on an ADSL broadband conection, or on a BT Infinity connection?
0 Ratings
alexdodson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

infinity, Homehub 5 😕

0 Ratings
alexdodson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

I have seen similar issues from other users, so can assume it seems to be a problem with the homehub 5. But cannot be 100% if anyone else can confirm if they have experienced anything similar

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

are you using a wired or wireless connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
alexdodson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Tried with both wireless and wired, same problem persists its either an issue with the home hub or bt are interleaving 😕

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Latency is automatic and is controlled by DLM. There is no manual intervention unlike adsl

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
alexdodson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

If that is the case is there anything BT can do to resolve this issue because my internet is almost unusable for gaming and film streaming

0 Ratings
IceZaroth
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 16

This might sound like a silly question but do you have in your ownership an older Homehub, My personal theory centers around your HH5 causing the issues, but without an older HH you wont know.

I've personally read a few nightmare stores about ping issues on lan connections with HH5 and people have also said that when they went back to older tech it actually solved there issue, now im not going to sit here and tell you its definately your problem but there are so many things that it can be we can only rule them one at a time im afraid.

0 Ratings
alexdodson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Well I have just ordered a on offer router which should arrive tomorrow after reading similar stories to yourself, it should arrive tomorrow where I will set it up and let you know if it resolves the issue

0 Ratings