cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 84

'Unusual activity' detected every day?

I'm having something of a problem with my email. I keep getting emails from Yahoo's mailer daemon telling me about failed emails that I didn't send. I have eliminated all possibility of this being down to having some kind of trojan or other malware on my PC, so this means that either BT/Yahoo's system is getting hacked further up the line or (more likely) my email is being spoofed. However, this would only be slightly irritating and solved by simply deleting the emails (there's never more than about a dozen) except for one thing - BT/Yahoo's system seems to be detecting these emails as 'unusual activity' and forcing me to change my password at least once a day, sometimes more. Given that I've gone through several different passwords, all of which haven't made the blindest bit of difference to this 'unusual activity', and there appears to be nothing I can do to fix this, is there any way I can bypass this prompt to change my password?
0 Ratings
83 REPLIES 83
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 84

Re: 'Unusual activity' detected every day?

@Zmidponk wrote:
I'm having something of a problem with my email. I keep getting emails from Yahoo's mailer daemon telling me about failed emails that I didn't send. I have eliminated all possibility of this being down to having some kind of trojan or other malware on my PC, so this means that either BT/Yahoo's system is getting hacked further up the line or (more likely) my email is being spoofed. However, this would only be slightly irritating and solved by simply deleting the emails (there's never more than about a dozen) except for one thing - BT/Yahoo's system seems to be detecting these emails as 'unusual activity' and forcing me to change my password at least once a day, sometimes more. Given that I've gone through several different passwords, all of which haven't made the blindest bit of difference to this 'unusual activity', and there appears to be nothing I can do to fix this, is there any way I can bypass this prompt to change my password?

Hi.

Your post seems to confirm my suspicion that Critical Path (the new mail provider for BTinternet) might be causing the problem about the need for password changes.

As you correctly say, the bounce messages are due to your email address being spoofed/forged in a spam run. There is nothing you can do to prevent this.

I feel that the moderators need to question Critical Path about their methods in this regard.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 84

Im having exactly the same problem looked at by the mods at the moment, its getting to be a real problem, had to change password about 7 times already today just to send and recieve my important stuff....getting rather annoyed

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 84

I am getting sick of this - I have to reset my password avery few days and I check my e-mail on multiple devices so that is a real pain having to change credentials on them all.  Why can't BT or Yahoo or whoever looks after e-mails pull out their finger and sort this out?

It would help if they told us what the "unusual activity" actually is so WE can decide!

Can we report them to a regulatory body???

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 84

The same is happening on one of my email addresses, I thought twice a week was bad enough to change password, so those who are getting this issue daily must be very frustrated. Like the previous post I have several devices I then have to change each time. This is not acceptable BT do something about it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 84

This is also happening to me every day - with a desktop, iphone and ipad, it is incredibly annoying.

Please BT, sort something out here.

Andy.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 84

I have been having this problem as well.  It's difficult to keep track of my password and I have to change my Mac Mail, iPhone and iPad each time.  This is becoming a real problem.  I don't have the issue with my iCloud email and it must be a problem with BT's servers.  I have stopped using my BT email for new messages but may of my contacts only know my BTInternet address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 84

@tonygoode wrote:

I have stopped using my BT email for new messages but may of my contacts only know my BTInternet address.

If you don't want to use the BT email set it up to forward your emails to the email service you do use so that any of your contacts who still use the BT Mail will be forwarded and picked up by you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 84

I've been getting this recently. I just hope that things will improve when they move all BT Yahoo users. I too wonder how they define unusual activity. How sensitive are the filters? I agree that having to change passwords on several devices, especially on tiny iPhone keyboard
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 84

Hmm. I tried to change my security question from my Email account and got

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to 193.113.4.227, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

Somebody in India told me to ignore it, so I went ahead and changed the question.

Whois confirmed that the IP address was BT, but even so?!!

The error message comes up with IE and Firefox. It doesnt fill me with confidence

0 Ratings