cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Unusual wireless connection problem with tablet

You kindly helped me in Jan. this year in correctly diagnosing that we needed a new HHub3 to resolve a wireless connection problem. We have had no wireless connection problems since we installed our new hub.

A week ago, I tried to connect my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet wirelessly to our network as usual. However, a message came up saying "authenticating" and my tablet wouldn't connect - the signal strength showed as very strong. My husband's tablet connected to our network immediately, with no problem, and my tablet connected immediately to my friend's network next door. 

I told my tablet to "forget" our network/SSID and then I reinstated our network and re-entered our wireless key. I also tried switching our router off and on several times, but  my tablet still would not connect. I know that there isn't any multiple device issue as my husband and I have used our tablets/laptop wirelessly at the same time on many occasions without any problem. The fact that my husband's tablet and laptop connect wirelessly without any problem, suggests that our HHub3 is not faulty. It is puzzling that my tablet does connect immediately to my friend's network.

I have been in contact with Samsung who have talked me through various procedures on my tablet, including doing a Factory reset, none of which helped. They have also tried to reinitialize the tablet's software, via a "Kies" programme, with the tablet connected to my husband's desktop, but they were uable to carry this out. They have now asked me to send my tablet, which is still under warranty, to them for repair.

I am concerned that because their engineers will not be able to test my tablet on our network (and as it does connect to my friend's network), it may well still have the same problem when it is returned.  I would be most grateful for your thoughts and also if you can tell me what my tablet is actually attempting to do when it says "authenticating" - why

won't it go any further ?

Thank you.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Unusual wireless connection problem with tablet

Try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. When it is restarting, "forget" the connection on the tablet and restart the tablet. Once everything is up and running, try and remake the connection.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

To : gg30340

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have just done exactly what you suggested and after remaking the connection, the tablet still gave the message "authenticating", showed a strong signal but failed to connect.

Any further comments would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 15

It sounds to me like the device is trying to connect to the Hub using WPS instead of prompting for the wireless key, and because it doesn't receive the WPS signal from the Hub it won't authenticate.

I would try either one of these pieces of advice from the Samsung Help Site:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add a WLAN manually
1 In Idle mode, open the application list and select Settings → Wireless and network → WiFi settings → Add WiFi network.
2 Enter the SSID for the network and select the security type.
3 Set the security settings depending on the selected security type.
4 Select Save.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Connect to a WLAN using a WiFi Protected Setup (WPS)
Using WPS, you can connect to a secured network. To connect to a WLAN with a WPS button,
1 In Idle mode, open the application list and select Settings
→ Wireless and network → WiFi settings.
2 Select WPS button connection.
3 Press a WPS button on the access point within two minutes.

For the second option, you should find the WPS button located on the Hub itself, press this once your device starts looking for the connection.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

I didn't think that the Samsung Tablets have an option to use WPS plus if you are getting the option to enter your wireless passkey that would suggest that it is not using WPS.

I don't understand why it would only be your homehub that it is having a problem with especially as all your other devices are using the Homehub without problem. It could be that the Samsung has developed a fault and is having a problem with the security being used on the Homehub. I would take Samsung up on their offer and send it back for repair.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

I've never used one before, but the Samsung help site seems to suggest it can. No idea personally Smiley Happy

I would expect adding the network manually may help though.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Yeh I just had a look at the specs and methods of connecting and it would appear that the Tablet can connect using WPS. I still don't think that is the problem but no harm in trying it to see if it will connect.

Still doesn't explain why it could connect previously and won't connect now.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Agreed. My hope would be that one of the other two connection methods will work since it is not authenticating through the automatic procedure.

Either forcing it manually to take the key by creating the network, or not using the key at all and using WPS. Hopefully Wingman will let us know how they got on.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

To OlgaC

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have very carefully tried each of your two pieces of advice twice.

RE : Add a WLAN manually - I carried out the instructions, selecting the security type WPA/WPA2 PSK as indicated when I clicked on the network. This failed to connect my tablet.

RE : Connect to a WLAN using WPS - I carried out the instructions and a message came up saying "WPS complete. connecting to the network".  I waited for at least five minutes to see if it would connect, but it failed to do so.

There is another option  - WPS PIN entry - and when I clicked on this, it automatically started to proceed (ie. a blue line went from left to right), but when it had finalised it gave a message "failed - try again later"

I would appreciate any other thoughts. Thank you for your help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

As I have already said, because your tablet was previously connected and all your other devices can connect to the homehub it would indicate to me that the problem is with the Tablet. The only thing that throws me is that it connects to other networks OK. I can't think of anything else to help and I would send it back to Samsung.