cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 12

Unwanted calls from people I was trying to get away from, after number change

I changed my telephone number as I was getting calls from people I no longer wished to receive calls from. They were continually phoning and asking for me, even though I told them I didn't wish to receive calls from them.  I'm not referring to unsolicited calls (although I get those all the time even though I've opted out of all sorts), but calls from numbers I do know.  I changed my telephone number to get away from them hoping that would be an end to it, but the numbers are still calling and asking for me.  No-one has my new number apart from two people, who could in no way be connected to my nuisance callers, and would never pass my details on. Anyway, I started getting calls immediately after I changed my number and before I got the chance to give it to these two people.  How is this even possible? It was suggested that I change my number again, but I'm worried about the same thing happening again.  Regardless of this, surely I shouldn't have to go through this process repeatedly. Could someone explain this to me?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Unwanted calls from people I was trying to get away from, after number change

Hi and welcome

Is your new number Ex directory? as it is possible the callers have got it that way.

There is a way to stop some of these calls, if you subscribe to BT Choose to refuse it is possible to block these callers from calling you.

Details are here the charges are around £5 a month

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

Re: Unwanted calls from people I was trying to get away from, after number change

As dave suggests unless your new number is XDIRECTORY  as in not listed then its in the public domain and available to every one who knows your address though I dontb know how long it takes for a new number to be online

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 12

My number is ex-directory. This was done when I changed my numbered. I checked today and verified that this was the case. My number doesn't appear, and I changed my number about 3 months ago. This is why I don't understand how anyone can have my number.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

Hi, you say that your number does not appear, that is in fact number witheld. That is not the same as being Ex directory and if you ask BT for one you don't automatically get both.

Can I suggest that you visit www.bt.com and about half way down on the right hand side of the page you can search for residential numbers, have a check to see if you can find your own or call one of the many directory services numbers and ask for your own name etc.

If you can get your number from either of these sources you are not Ex Directory, you would need to contact BT and ensure this is changed.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

@Devon_Dave wrote:

Hi and welcome

Is your new number Ex directory? as it is possible the callers have got it that way.

There is a way to stop some of these calls, if you subscribe to BT Choose to refuse it is possible to block these callers from calling you.

Details are here the charges are around £5 a month

The call to refuse service is free if you use a BT Broadband Talk line by the way. You need be an existing BT Broadband customer though as new customers don't get it. 😞

BBTalk would give you yet another new number and one which is not automatically added to the phone directory.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 12

It's definitely ex-directory. I had already checked the residential number checker. Anything I've checked on says it cannot find me.  Anyway, I had it set up with ex-directory when I changed my number, so I'm stumped and worried obviously.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

@hevghirl wrote:

It's definitely ex-directory. I had already checked the residential number checker. Anything I've checked on says it cannot find me.  Anyway, I had it set up with ex-directory when I changed my number, so I'm stumped and worried obviously.

Hi. Sorry to hear of this problem.

Without giving too much reference, are the people calling the same ones as before ?

I expect it can be checked, but it's just possible when your new number was provided to you, that it may not have been made ex-directory immediately - hence giving someone the chance to look it up or ask for it.

When you make calls, do you know if your number appears to the end called person ? You can check by dialling a mobile if you have one.

As Dave indicated, and I don't know the answer either - hopefully all of the directory services (118nnn) are updated from the same source at the same time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 12

Sorry to say there is nothing you can do to stop these calls all you can do is reduce the numbers and stop them after you receive one The list are generated by randon number on computers by criminals Most of these calls are from abroad particularity from India and are scams . The phones calls are generated by computers and the number they are from are fictitious . It is no use asking them to take you of their list as they have got your number illegally my advise is never talk to them just tell them you know that they are a scam .
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Smowhite, if you read the OP's posts you will see it is not unsolicted calls. It is from person(s) that the OP knows.

Hevghirl,

If the calls could be classed as nuisance calls you could/should contact the Police about them and also contact BT on 0800 661 441.   

See also this link about other things you can do to try and stop the calls.

http://www.bt.com/includingyou/calling-easier-unwanted-calls.html#more2

0 Ratings