cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 37

Re: Up to 38MB or 52MB which am I on? Technical insist set to 38MB Sales/Contract 52MB.

Go to solution

Its not banded as such, its just that its slightly below the max data rate that your line can handle.

Its never going to exceed the max data rate.

You are within Range A which is 39 to 51Mbs, and 44Mbs is the maximum your particular line can handle, so there is nothing wrong with your line.

There has to be a margin between your actual connection rate, and the max data rate, to allow for any variation in the line conditions throughout the day, otherwise there is a chance of a disconnection.

You are not going to get the maximum 52Mbs connection speed for Infinity 1, as you are too far away from the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 37

Re: Up to 38MB or 52MB which am I on? Technical insist set to 38MB Sales/Contract 52MB.

Go to solution

@Watkins247 wrote:

I was on upto 38MB contract, however half way through term was given a good deal to cancel and renew on a upto 52MB contract. Speed didn't change but wasn't expecting much of increase anyway.

To comment on your original question, all Infinity 1 connection limits where increased to 52Mbs, if the line would support that speed, the fact was simply mentioned when you were offered a renewed contract at a reduced price.

The sales person could never guarantee you would get the full 52Mbs, only up to 52Mbs.

As long as you got a good deal, then that is the best you can expect.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 37

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Its not banded as such, its just that its slightly below the max data rate that your line can handle.

Its never going to exceed the max data rate.

39952 looks suspiciously like a banded profile.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 37

Go to solution

The use of the word banding is misleading, as people assume that BT are deliberately restricting their speed, when that is not the case, its simply down to DLM giving the best realistic speed that the line can support, based on the error rate.

Its just a pity that CRC errors cannot be viewed on the later home hubs, neither can the latency, and FEC errors (which give a really good insight into line performance)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 37

Go to solution

Banding is actually slightly different to that Keith. Under normal circumstances DLM adjusts the speed to match the line characteristics and can change if the line re-syncs with better figures. However, with banding the line can be severely restricted at various speeds due to very severe instability and will not be removed for a long period of time until the line has had a long period of stability. Re-syncing will have no effect if a line is banded.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 37

Go to solution

Its not going to matter anyway, as BT will not investigate the speed if its within the accepted range.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 37

Go to solution

And in reality, moving from ~40M to something lower than 44M is not going to be notcied.

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 37

Go to solution

Certainly got impresision BT will not make any changes.

Their technical department were insistant that my line was on the old 38MB limit still, in line with my contract and would stay there until sales department told them I was on new up to 52MB contract.Which I've been on for a few months.

Other companies on doing a line test say I should get 44MB to 47MB with them.

A few have mentioned DLM on here, line speeds are adjusted slightly up and down but does make any difference to the IP profile which has always shown as 38MB since going onto Infinity.

Just need to get BTs technical and sales department to communicate with each other. Don't think there is much hope of that happening though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 19 of 37

Go to solution

Looks like I'm stuck on the 38MB profile then until I renew my contract in a few months time, September,then it's GOOD BYE  BT, object to paying for something and then company failing to supplythe goods.

IP Profile fixed at 38.67MB never changed since going onto Infinity in October 15.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 20 of 37

Go to solution

@Watkins247 Please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll be happy to make sure your on the 55mb Infinity service, it is possible that you have been changed already but the maximum your line can support is 38mb but we'll be happy to confirm this with. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil