cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Upgrade of fiber cabinet

Hello,

I signed up to BT during lockdown. I was told then that there was a closer fibre cabinet to my home than the one I am currently wired in, but that open reach couldn't do the switching of cabinets during the lockdown and that the work could be down maybe in June. I would like to know when this would be done now that the lockdown restrictions are easing.

Thanks

Regards

Thomas

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Upgrade of fiber cabinet

You would need to ask Openreach that, this is a BT retail forum.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

as @licquorice posted only openreach will be able to answer your question but I would add that openreach have been adamant that they will not move your connection to a different cabinet just to improve your broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Hello,

Openreach website says that i need to contact my broadband provider to ask about this.

Thanks

Thomas

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number but leave exchange and cab

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

you can phone 150 and ask but it is not something BT Retail just like any other ISP have control over as that belongs to openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@thomas_h  could you post a link to the page where Openreach state contact your provider to switch cabs?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@thomas_h  If an infill cabinet has been provided by Openreach, it will require co-ordination between all ISPs to transfer customers. Only Openreach can advise as to when that is likely to be. At the end of the day, it will happen when it happens and there is no influence you can have with respect to timescales.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Who told you about the closer fibre cabinet and said you could benefit ?
The usual network set up , ( for want if a better description) is your cable pair comes from the MDF in the exchange to the Cab , the original copper cab,(PCP,) and it’s linked fibre cab to a DP ( distribution point) to your home.
Theses points MDF , PCP, DP are ‘hard wired’ , so the DP outside your home is physically connected to your current  PCP, the closer ‘cabinet’ is if no use to you because your DP isn’t connected to that closer cabinet.

As already said, if OR have a scheme underway to connect your DP to another ‘infill’ cabinet that would improve your service, it’s something that wouldn’t be done on a line by line basis, but all lines on your DP and probably many other neighbouring DP’s as well, each customer would have to be advised by their own provider as it would be service affecting ( you would be out of service while the changeover took place ) , as well as all the potential reconfiguration required at the exchange , as well as all the IT systems that would need new data etc, it’s a pretty big undertaking.

It’s possibly true that there is a closer cabinet , as areas expand and develop a cabinet may have been provided for a new development and physically that cab is closer to you that your current cab, but if you haven’t been notified of any network changes,  then it’s best to assume you are on your current cab, possibly indefinitely, or until FTTP comes your way

Message 9 of 10

Hello,

I was first told about the new cabinet by the Openreach engineer that was trying to sort out the issues that i was having with talktalk and which led to me switching to BT. He advised me to push to get transfered to this newer cabinet.

I was also told by the BT phone advisor about the newer closer cabinet and that the wiring would happen in june when I suscribed to BT on the phone.

thomas_h_0-1592833085561.png

Here is requested screen grab.

According to the map of cabinet in kirkwall area, there are 2 cabinets, one with available fttc and one without, way closer to my house than the one i am currently plugged in.

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/when-to-get-in-touch-with-openreach here's the link where it says about requesting engineer visit etc with the internet provider rather than openreach themselves.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

that link is just advising you use your ISP to get openreach engineer visit for any problems but that does not include getting your line moved to a different cabinet to improve your connection

if it does happen then it will happen when and if openreach decide and there is nothing you can do to speed it up

0 Ratings