cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hazel_Howorth
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Upgrade to ADSL 2+ help

Hi, please can someone help.  I am getting real hassle from my husband (and his friends) to have our broadband changed over to ADSL 2+.  I don't know how to go about it and really can't bear hanging on the phone to the helpline wasting my time!

I have just done the following speedtest via the BT Wholesale website and the results were:

Download Speed (Mbps): 4.14

Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.73

Ping Latency (ms): 41.25

We usually get between 4 and 6 Mbps download and around 1Mbps upload.

I have been able to go into my router settings and got:

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_2plus

Annex Type:Annex A/L

Current Rate (Kbps)  1160 / 14568

Max rate (Kbps) 1164 /  14736

SNR Margin (dB) 6.5 / 2.9

Line Attenuation (dB) 19.8 / 37.4

Errors (Pkts) 0 / 0

Is that the right information?

I have also got this information from the exchange checker:

Telephone number 015******** on Exchange AMBLESIDE is served by Cabinet 4

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 10.5--8 to 12.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 10.5Up to 18 to 12.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 8--7 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available

Now I don't know what any of this information means but is it enough for someone to tell me if we can get a better connection?

Any advice or info is greatly appreciated even if it's just to shut the other half up Smiley Wink

Thank you.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Upgrade to ADSL 2+ help

you are already on adsl2+ was the speedtest done with a wired ethernet connection ?
0 Ratings
Hazel_Howorth
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

The speedtest mentioned in my post was actually done on my laptop via wireless but, even so, we generally average around 6Mbps but sometimes we are lucky and get 7Mbps but this doesn't happen very often.  

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

You have a 14mb connection speed so even above your estimate

try turning off smart wireless then change the wireless channel. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43711

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

can you please re run the speedtest using an ethernet connection
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Run btspeedtester again but this time with a wired connection then post results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Hazel_Howorth
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

I am not using a BT home hub - we still have the original one from donkeys years ago!  I am using a TPlink 300Mbps Wireless N Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router.  I am aware that you are probably not able to give me instructions on how to change the wireless settings because I am not using a BT hub so I will have to see if I can find a solution elsewhere but thanks for the advice and I will see what I can do.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

you can try downloading inssider3 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

inssider3.1.2.1

0 Ratings
Hazel_Howorth
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Right, I have run the speedtester again via my husbands PC which is wired, the results are:

Download Speed (Mbps) 7.75

Upload speed (Mbps) 0.82

Ping latency (ms) 56.63

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

A lot better than first test but lower than I expected. 

Check yiur exchange and see if any problems listed. 

check exchange

Can you check your current noise margin please and is it still below 3db?  If so can you post any errors from your router?

0 Ratings