cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bim
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Upgrade to BT Infinity has broken my phone line (and the broadband)

Hi all.

Summary :-

Standard BT Broadband had been working perfectly for me for years. Since it was upgraded to BT Infinity 2, the phone line has been dead, and the broadband has been unavailable. BT already marked the line fixed, but it is still dead and I've reopened the fault. I believe the fault was directly caused by the upgrade work.

Apology in advance :-

it's only been a couple of days so far; I can see from the forum that these sort of problems have dragged on for other people for a very long time indeed; I'm looking for advice on how to proceed, and ideally to get genuine technical advice on what might be going on, as the BT help process just isn't transparent.

Long version :-

I've had standard BT Broadband (8Mb) working for years without a problem. I have two phone numbers; the one with the broadband on doesn't have a phone plugged into it normally (I've had occasion to plug one a couple of times in the last few years, and everything has worked fine). I decided to upgrade to BT Infinity 2. I used the availability checker to confirm that I had FTTC and a projected line speed of 60-80Mb down. I'm North London area, 580 metres from the exchange. (I'm a tech geek with knowledge of internet and network admin, but I know nothing of telephony hardware or wiring.) BT sent an email confirming that the upgrade would be done on Monday (23rd), that it would take about half an hour, and that no engineer visit to my home would be necessary.

Just to confirm the broadband is indeed plugged to the master socket for that phone number (not an extension). Everything worked fine before the upgrade; the Home Hub 5 arrived, I replaced my existing router with it (plugging it in with the supplied filter of course, and into the DSL port with the grey cable as supplied), and the standard BT Broadband worked fine for two days with the Hub attached.

Monday at 8am, the broadband goes down and I assume the upgrade to Infinity is now taking place. At 9.20am I receive an email and SMS from bt.comms to say that my 'service is ready'. I reset the Hub, but there is no broadband connection.

I call BT's call centre, and the rep asks me if the phone line is OK. I plug a phone to the line socket (both via the filter and then directly), and the line is dead (no dial tone, no noise, no static). (I then plug the same phone to my other line, to confirm the equipment itself is working fine; it is.) The rep then suggests the installation may not be complete yet, and that I should wait until midnight. (He can't explain why BT told me the service was ready; he can't see those communications at the call centre.) NB this is an upgrade, not a new installation, so I'm rather cynical at his suggestion, but I accept it for the time being.

I then have to go to work. At 1pm, I log into MyBT and I see that the call centre rep has already filed a fault on the broadband, and in fact did so straight after my call. He has not however filed a fault on the phone; so I run a line test, which automatically generates a fault report on the phone line. The fault report suggests the problem is 'likely to be with BT's network'. It offers an estimated resolution date of Thursday (26th) at 5pm.

At 5.30pm 'An engineer has been assigned' appears on the phone fault report.

I get home at 8pm and the line is still dead. I call the number, and I do get a ring tone, but there is no signal or sound of any kind at the phone itself.

I let the call centre know that I believe the upgrade work has caused the fault, and if this is the case I'm not particularly happy at having to wait the standard 3 days for them to put it right. They inform me that they 'understand my frustration' and that they believe once the phone line is fixed, the broadband will work. They also inform me that the engineer doing the broadband upgrade will only have tested the broadband line, and not the phone line (!).

At 8am the next morning I confirm to the call centre that the line is still dead, the broadband is still unavailable and that it is clearly now not an issue of the installation still being ongoing.

At 11.35am (now at work) I receive email from BT Help to say that they 'believe the phone fault is now fixed'. The phone fault report indicates the same.

At 7.15pm (back at home) I check the phone line; no change. Line still dead. I re-open the phone fault report online (via mobile internet, of course) and call the call centre. They can only confirm that the phone fault is open, that an engineer will look at it, and that estimated resolution date is still Thursday at 5pm. (NB: they cannot see at the call centre that the phone fault had been marked fixed and that I had re-opened it; all they can see is that the phone fault is open. So by this point, I actually seem to have more information than the call centre do.)

At 6.45am the next morning (today) 'An engineer has been assigned' appears on the phone fault report again. That's where we are currently.

I feel sorry for the call centre reps in India; they do their best, but ultimately they can do nothing more than to raise and re-raise tickets.

I'd like to get hold of an Openreach engineer and find out what needed to be done to upgrade the broadband in the first place, and what is likely to have gone wrong. I strongly believe that it is specifically the work done for the broadband upgrade that has caused the phone fault, and I'm rather worried that, in the circumstances, the engineers were unable to unravel it or put it right at the first attempt, yet still marked the fault 'believed fixed'.

I appreciate that we're only 2 days in, and this is nothing yet compared to what some people have suffered. I am of course happy to join the queue here for a response (much more so than I am to join the queue for BT to fix what I believe they have broken).

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Upgrade to BT Infinity has broken my phone line (and the broadband)

Only Openreach can help you as you have already reported the fault they will deal with the fault within 3 working days of it being reported
0 Ratings
bim
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Thanks John. I do appreciate that. The annoying thing is the lack of transparency; I have no idea on a technical level what the upgrade process should have involved, how it might have got broken, and what they might have done subsequently before (erroneously) reporting they believed it fixed. I'm hoping that someone with that knowledge might enlighten me.

In the meantime, I'll see if Openreach do fix it within the 3 day timescale, and will report back then.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

is your infinity service working ?if it is then it could be a linking between the two cabinets problem
bim
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

No - I have neither phone line nor broadband. (Before the upgrade, everything was fine.)

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

definitely an Openreach problem
0 Ratings
bim
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

The 'estimated repair date' of Thursday March 26 at 1700h has now passed. I'm still without service.

How to proceed now? Mods, please can you help me?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Phone CS and rebook your engineer visit. Even if mods do offer help it could be 3/5 working days before they contact you after you submit the email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bim
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Hi Jolly. There's no engineer visit booked - the fault is said to be at the exchange.

I called CS anyway, and this time the rep put me on hold while he spoke to Openreach - apparently they are indeed working on the fault, but due to a backlog they haven't finished yet. He's given me a new estimate of 'by Sunday morning at the latest'.

At least there's some progress and some information now, which is a slight relief. In the circumstances I will leave the mods alone for the weekend.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Is there anything shown on any of these links for your exchange.  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings