cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bim
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 15

Re: Upgrade to BT Infinity has broken my phone line (and the broadband)

Nope - my exchange is clear.

Just had another call from BT, basically confirming what they told me yesterday - the engineers are working on it, and BT will contact me again on Monday, though they hope to have the fault fixed by this evening.

Let's see what happens.

0 Ratings
bim
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 15

Well, here's what happened.

The Openreach engineer called me himself at 10.30 to tell me he thought the phone line was now fixed. He asked if I was home, as he had tested the phone line which was showing fine except that there was no equipment at the customer end. (Indeed there is no phone plugged to this line normally.) I was at work, an hour away, but decided to come home to test it myself.

No change sadly. Phone line still dead as before. Called CS again; the rep managed to speak to the engineer himself, who only repeated that the phone line has tested OK at the exchange. He then spoke to the Openreach team, who declined to investigate further today, as they now consider it may be a problem in or around my property and will need a home visit, and apparently the exchange and domestic teams are different teams. So we've had to reopen the fault and book an engineer home visit for Tuesday morning.

The home visit has been suggested by them and not by me, hence I don't expect any issues regarding £129 charges. It also seems clear the phone line fault has been caused by the broadband upgrade work itself; I'd be amazed otherwise.

So I'm now having to take time off work, which I don't get paid for; and I'm also having to buy mobile wi-fi to see me through the weekend at least.

Before Monday, I'd had fully working phone and broadband, supplied by BT, trouble free, for years. I only ordered a broadband upgrade. I wish I'd never bothered.

0 Ratings
bim
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 15

What a relief. The Openreach engineer turned up first thing, traced the line, and as expected, the first engineer had connected the line incorrectly. (The tester recorded the fault at 430 metres from my house; the house is 590 metres from the cabinet, so I'm assuming a junction box.)

Phone line is fixed and working now, and the engineer was courteous enough to switch the Hub on and stay around until the broadband connected. The broadband is working, and has been upgraded to Infinity 2 as ordered.

This should never have taken 8 days. I'm now asking BT for a refund for the loss of service.

Thanks all. Hope your own issues get sorted more quickly.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 15

@bim wrote:

This should never have taken 8 days. I'm now asking BT for a refund for the loss of service.

Here is the guide to refunds.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9394/~/customer-service-guarantee

All you get on a residential line, is a part refund of line rental.

0 Ratings
bim
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 15

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@bim wrote:

Here is the guide to refunds.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9394/~/customer-service-guarantee

All you get on a residential line, is a part refund of line rental.

Thanks Keith. I'm on it.

I know - I don't expect more than that. The good news is that under 'Disconnected by mistake' I qualify for a refund for the whole outage period, not just the period after the third working day after the day I reported the fault. I can also claim for both phone and broadband, having been deprived of both. So, I'm expecting about £12, which I think will go to a deserving charity.

0 Ratings