Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Upgrade to Fibre - hub location?

Go to solution

Hi all, posting on behalf of my father in law who is due to be upgraded to Fibre in the coming weeks.

He is currently running ADSL broadband in which the homehub is in the office upstairs on what I assume is a slave socket (i know his master is by the front door).

Am I correct in assuming that an upgrade to fibre will involve his master socket (by front foor) to be changed to a new "fibre ready" master socket and that the hub must be plugged straight into that?

If this is the case, is it possible for the clever engineer to rewire the master socket by the front door, using the existing wiring in the house and make the office upstairs the new "master" and the front door socket become the slave?

Many thanks,
Matt

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Upgrade to Fibre - hub location?

Go to solution

The vast majority of fibre upgrades re self install with no engineer visit required. 

If if you did get openreach engineer then he would make the change for you but if a contractor he would just connect to master and go

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

So will he need an SSFP faceplate as I know he doesn't currently have one within the house? Or can fibre run fine on the older style faceplates?

If it can run on the older style faceplates, then can it run off a slave socket through a filter like ADSL?

ie: He can keep his hub in his office as before?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

If ADSL is working satisfactorily in the curent location, there is every chance that Infinity will continue to do so.

SSFP faceplates are no longer fitted as standard.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Ahh, super. Many thanks. I was under the impression it would have to go on the master socket for some reason.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@mattlivermore wrote:

Ahh, super. Many thanks. I was under the impression it would have to go on the master socket for some reason.

Only if it had a filtered faceplate as the extensions would all then be filtered.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Ahh i see. Yes, I believe the age of the house would mean currently unfiltered all round. Thanks again.
0 Ratings