licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: Upgrade to Infinity - need to understand results

@anniemac wrote:

Keith and gg30340

A quick update on this.

When I look at MyBT it tells me that I now have Infinity 1, although the report I sent yesterday to Keith said I had not been upgraded.  So I decided to phone BT.  Apparently I have been upgraded to to Infinity 1, but there is a fault with my Broadband which probably explains why there is no increase in speed test he said. The fault will be fixed by 18 April and they will let me know when it has been done.

Thank you for your help.

They are telling you complete tosh, as @pippincp says, you haven't been upgraded at all.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 20

The only fault you have is that Customer Services don't know what they are talking about.

You have been misinformed unless the change to Infinity has taken place since you posted your hub stats.

If you look at you Homehub stats you will see Modulation: G_992_5 this means you are on ADSL. If you were on Infinity, VDSL it would read Modulation: G_993_2.

You need to contact BT and tell them that you have not been moved onto Infinity.

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 13 of 20

Hi @anniemac

Thanks for your posts and welcome back!

I'm sorry that you haven't been upgraded yet.  What looks to have happened is that the order upgraded on our system to show you're on BT Infinity option 1 but the job wasn't completely by the engineer to do the work in the cabinet.  I'll have a better idea whenever I've received your account details.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
anniemac
Contributor
Message 14 of 20

Another update!  

On 17 April I had a call from someone from BT (I think) confirming what Robbie said in the post below.  The system shows I have been upgraded to Infinity 1 but the changes have not been made in the street cabinet so my working Braodband is still Standard.  The cabinet will be upgraded on Tues or Wed 25/26th April.  Fingers crossed that it all happens this time!

I have tried to removed the 'Solved' tag but cannot see in Options how to get it to work.  Hopefully it soon will not matter!

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 15 of 20

Hi @anniemac,

You should have noticed a change in your connection over the last 3 days. It was changed over on the 22th of April after 12 noon. I'll be out of the office tomorrow but I'll be here on Thursday early afternoon if you need me for anything.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
anniemac
Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Hi @DanielS

Replying today (Wed) as I will be out tomorrow afternoon.  

Unfortunately, there is no improvement with broadband this week, in fact the BT broadband speed test results are even worse - Down 2.59,  Up 0.49.  At the bottom of the results screen it said "Speed between BT exchange and your home hub is not as fast as we expected".  I restarted the Hub as it suggested (switched it all off at wall for 30 mins) still no difference.  

It's next instruction was to contact BT, so here I am!

Regards

Anne

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 17 of 20

Hi @anniemac

Thanks for posting back!

@DanielS is out of the office and is back tomorrow.  I'll let him know that you've posted again.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
anniemac
Contributor
Message 18 of 20

I am sorry that I need to come back again with this.  'My BT' tells me that the original fault is resolved.  In order to prove that to myself I am trying to run the BT broadband speed test.  

When I go to 'Run speed test' it takes me to Troubleshooter, which then shows several Faults resolved and a new one dated 28 April.  This appeared with I tried to run the speed test yesterday so my attempt to run Speed test created a new fault.

I expect to find a Run Test button, but I never see that option.  I am therefore unable to find out what BT records as my broadband speed now that I am upgraded.  This morning I have used other speed tests, 'Which magazine' are currently monitoring UK broadband speeds and I used their test (Down 2.4, Up 0.7).  I also ran Think Broadband test (Down 2.5, Up 0.4). I have to say that with the older Hub and standard broadband my readings were on average Download 5.1 and Upload 1.0.  

I found recently on BT that my phone number should receive -

Fibre broadband 14-21MB, minimum 12MB

Standard broadband 14-15MB, minimum 12MB

These numbers are too similar to make it worth upgrading, and I am now totally confused by the whole speed thing.

I do know about position of Hub, relating to TV and thick walls and phone socket, etc.  Unfortunately here, the walls are 2 feet thick, the main phone line comes into the house in the same corner as the satellite cable, but that has always been the case and was fine with previous BT hubs.

So my questions are

1) Why am I unable to run the BT speed tester?  I would trust BT results more than the others but it seems no longer available to me.  When I was deciding whether or not to upgrade, I could run it as often as I liked.

2) How is it possible for my results to be approx. half what they were before upgrade (and increased cost)?

3) Is there real hope that I will get the advertised speeds, even the minimum?  

Thanks for listening.  I am definititely out ot my depth with this!

Anne

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 19 of 20

Hi @anniemac,

I called you on your contact numbers yesterday but didn't get through to you. I was expecting your speeds to be in and around 12-14 Mbps. I've been through to my suppliers who have recognised a fault but they want an engineer to go out. I can arrange to have one sent out, without a charge for the visit. I'll need to know the best times that you are available during the week. Our appointments are between 8am-1pm (AM) and between 1-6pm (PM). Would you be available for an appointment?

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
anniemac
Contributor
Message 20 of 20

Hi @DanielS,

Thank you for responding so quickly.  Sorry you didn't get through to me yesterday.  My mobile signal is not so good here at home, and I find calls often go straight through to answering service and don't ring out. I did get your message later but didn't know how to get back to you.

Available for an appointment? - absolutely!  That would be great.  I have been out a lot this week but that is very unusual for me.  I am mostly here so any day will suit from Monday onwards.  You arrange first and I will make sure I am here that day. PM would be better for me as I have animals to see to in the mornings.

Thanks Daniel.  I appreciate your help.

Anne