cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
interalia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Upgrade to Unlimited BT Infinity 1: post-order issues

A little earlier I accepted an emailed BT offer to upgrade from the Infinity package I have with a monthly limit, to Unlimited BT Infinity 1. Went through the online process, upgrade was confirmed online and now I have two issues.

(1)

The emailed offer clearly stated in one of the terms notes at the bottom (relevant extracts only):

... by invitation only to existing BT Infinity 1 customers signing up to the Unlimited Infinity 1 and Unlimited Weekend Calls package for 12 months. ... At the end of the minimum period of 12 months. ... You must stay on the Unlimited Infinity 1 and Unlimited Weekend Calls package for 12 months and you may not downgrade. ...

HOWEVER, the emailed order confirmation now received has this:

Your contract is for: 18 months. starting on 04 Mar 2013.

Questions:

(a) Why has the contract term I thought I was agreeing to increased from 12 months to 18 months, and who/where do I contact about it?

(b) Why does the new contract term start from 4 March and not now?

(2)

During the ordering process I had to set up a BT ID.

I'm not really sure why, as I already had one -- probably not called a BT ID at the time it was organised as I've had it for donkeys years, but it allows me to log in at BT's pages and see my billing, online usage and so on. Nevertheless and despite this, I "played ball" as there didn't seem to be an option for saying I already had one, or ignoring the step, so created this second ID with a new password, security question etc. Whether it will now replace the older one, or whether I'll now have two, I've no idea. But it said I would receive an email to activate it...

... which I did. Clicked the LINK from there and now in the middle of the activation process online, but really don't know what's going on as I'm being asked to choose a password and security question all over again. I've entered the same ones as I did during the ordering process, but don't know yet if this will be accepted or not, as I've hit a snag a bit further down -- this is what I need help with.

In the section for "Alternative ways of contacting you" there are two fields for a mobile phone number and an alternative email address (from my BT one), plus a radio button for "I don't have alternative contact details".

I don't have a mobile phone but do have an alternate email which I don't mind them having, and NEITHER of these fields was marked with a star meaning it was a required field (as most of the others were), so I filled in the email field and left the mobile one blank. But having completed the rest of the form I clicked to Continue and it won't let me! A red exclamation triangle's now come up against the mobile number box saying "Required field", presumably because I've left it blank. I tried putting in a dash, then n/a , but it won't have it ("Please enter a valid mobile number").

Aaaarrrghh! What do I do? All I can think of is to use the radio button to say I don't have any alternate contact details, but that's illogical when I do (the email addie): it could be helpful for them to have it if ever I can't access my BT mail for some reason.

So any ideas on that one too? Or again, who could I contact to get the ID activated, who could get round this mobile number requirement?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Upgrade to Unlimited BT Infinity 1: post-order issues

Oh, the joys of ordering BT services online - that's one I'll not fall for again.

Billing Live Chat should be able to help with your contract status.

A second BT ID shouldn't be a problem, though you may need to stick to the original for some purposes. Congratulations on not having a mobile phone! I'd try to get round it by entering something like 07000000000, having checked that it doesn't exist of course.

Please return here if you can't get things sorted.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
interalia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thank you, will try the Chat option tomorrow (or rather, considering the time now, later today).

On looking again at the order confirmation it's odd, because that date of 4 March for the contract is there, as copied iin my original post, but I've only just realised it's 2013, not 2014! (and actually early March last year is about when I first changed to Infinity from an ordinary broadband package).

So there is still a contract date/length question, but it's now different! Is it 18 months from last March, or 12 months from now??? Very confusing.

Lower down last night's email are two further dates, although the word "contract" isn't included:

Your new calling plan starts on: 09 Jan 2014

Your broadband starts on: 09 Jan 2014

I'll also try with all the zeros for the mobile number as you suggest (was scratching my head about how I could check it, then the penny dropped... just ring it. Duh!!)

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

I noticed the date but didn't want to speculate. Live chat are usually able to give contract end dates straight away. (It's been said before that it's a pity BT don't include this info in MyBT; problem is they have trouble managing what's there already!)

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

@pottyperson wrote:

snipped

(It's been said before that it's a pity BT don't include this info in MyBT; problem is they have trouble managing what's there already!)

LOL

0 Ratings
interalia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Trying Live Chat now. Is there any way to know if they will respond or not, or length of time to allow before assuming they won't?

I realise they may be very busy, but the blank window's been there for over half an hour so far, and I'm reluctant to switch to another window and hide it, or leave the PC and do something else, in case I miss them. On the other hand there's other stuff I need to be getting on with...

Thanks for any guidance, as I've not used this route before.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

I guess you're not still holding on! If you didn't get through, try again at a different time of day; I've only used Live Chat a handful of times but always got through reasonably quickly.

--
interalia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

No, but thanks for asking 🙂

I did leave the window open till 9 when they closed, and clicked back on it intermittently on the offchance it might have spluttered into life (it didn't), but no, didn't sit staring at it after posting! Too much else on the go. And I haven't been back since, but I must do to clarify this contract term...

Cheers.

0 Ratings