cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smiffy71
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Upgraded Broadband Now Wireless Will Not Work

Hello, Our exchange was upgraded this past Tuesday. I have a laptop connected to my router, it's a Belkin not a HomeHub, they kept breaking down. I have just ran a www.speedtest.net on the router connected laptop and got download of 14.82 Mbps and Upload of 0.96 Mbps which is around 3 times faster than the internet was on Monday. Now, however, the wireless will not work. I have messed around with the channel and all the other wireless settings that may affect the wireless connection all to no avail. Does anyone have any other ideas? I am going to try going back to my HomeHub 2 to see if that helps. Cheers
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Upgraded Broadband Now Wireless Will Not Work

you can try downloading inssider2 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

I doubt the change to 21CN at the exchange has affected the wireless signal from your router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Smiffy71
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Actually it seems very sporadic on the ethernet connected computer as well. Certain sites will not load, Facebook for example isn't interested, some others as well. Seems really weird
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the   adsl stats  from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) bt speedtester  and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Smiffy71
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Another one, sorry to keep posting but I am testing it and writing as I go. Facebook is just rotating and the tab shows "Connecting", the inssider website loaded really quick, the automatic download wouldn't load, the download not started yet button worked and the file downloaded quickly. I understand there is a migration period but it shouldn't be able to select the sites that are loaded surely? Cheers
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

don't think it decides which sites to show and not show.

need some stat information and btspeedtester results

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

that is a coincidence and not related
0 Ratings
Smiffy71
Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Couldn't run BTSpeedTester, it kept failing at the third test, I put in the username it suggested but the page never loaded after the internet reconnected

My ADSL Stats

ADSL

TypeInterleave Path
   StatusShow Time
   DownstreamUpstream
   Data Rate (kbps)173631152
   Noise Margin (dB)8.55.9
   Attenuation (dB)12.95.0
   Output power(dbm)16.512.1

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else?

Is the master the only phone socket in your home? I am connected directly to the Master Socket, there is another socket in the house but this has never caused any issues before.

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

I have just tried the 17070 and I could hear absolutely nothing. Will try and get BTSpeedTester to work but hope this helps. Just tried the upto 24Mbps one and it wouldn't even load. Just has and the first results were

Download 0.89 and Upload 0.86, Ping Latency 0.0

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

this is were the test socket is located as problems  can be caused by extensions Test Socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Smiffy71
Contributor
Message 10 of 20

My router is connected to the Master Socket.

After running the test on the website http://www.speedtester.bt.com/beta/ which gave 0.89 download. I ran a test on www.speedtest.net and got the following

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1917292751.png

0 Ratings