cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
K20GH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Upgraded to 80Mb and speeds have dropped?

Hi all,

We've only had Infinity about 3 weeks, however we were getting a pretty solid 38Mb Down & 7Mb up connection speed on all devices in the house - wireless and wired.

Then last Sunday we were getting 70Mb down and 7Mb up for the majority of the day - not an April fools 😉  See below:

Anyway, come Monday it had gone and we were back to the 38Mb/7Mb.  We then did the upgrade to 80Mb which went into effect Friday night.

Come Saturday morning our speed is now 21Mb Down and 15Mb up...  then on the 2 wired computer the speed is 5Mb down and 15Mb up. Not to mention the ping has gone up to 85+

BT and TalkTalk both reckon I could get 62Mbps

Can someone please explain what the hell is going on and why upgrading our connection has just made it slower...  I've reset the router and modem several times with no luck.

I'm about 500 yards from the cabinet and not many people around here that I know of have Infinity yet

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Alan63
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Upgraded to 80Mb and speeds have dropped?

What was your estimate for infinity 2?

Likley you need to wait a bit - I'd also recommend you not to reset the modem and router too often else the DLM thinks there's a line fault.

Theres a 10 days 'settling' period (urban myth or not) that most ISPs have to allow for capacity settling. 

K20GH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

The estimate was 62Mb, however as you can see from the test above it can clearly do more.

Just seems odd that the download speed has dropped considerably.

Also, as odd as this is, ever since the upgrade, the connection speed of the 2 wired connections appears capped at 5Mb and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

Nothing has changed on our network apart from getting 80Mb...

0 Ratings
cardrona10
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I had a similar issue today where my wired (via homeplug) speed fell to 1 Mbps download whilst my wifi was still in the 30's. - very odd. Powering down the homehub solved the problem though.
0 Ratings
sallen91
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

My speeds have also gone down a fair bit.

Yesterday when i speedtested i got around 76mbps down

Now when i speedtest it hits around 38-39 before it drops pretty fast down to 26 mbps

0 Ratings
steve233
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

i am on infinity option 2, is the speed increase to 80/20 automatic or do you have to ask bt for it?

0 Ratings
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

Hi Steve

If you want to try to upgrade your Infinity to the faster speeds then you can go here http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=34344

Or you can call 0800 800150 and talk to sales.

0 Ratings
K20GH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Ok, quick update.

Internal network of the house hasn't changed, however after the upgrade the average speed we get is about 20mb over wireless - before it was 30mb. Bit odd I know.

Anyway, did a direct connect into the router and was getting 106Mb down? Go figure

Ran a speedtest from the computer connected via homeplugs and it shows 5Mbs.. If I do a download from say Microsoft, I get about 6MB/s down speed. Whats going on...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sageman
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

According to the website my speed upgrade is complete. Reboot modem and router and my speed has dropped from 38mbps to 11.5mbps. I thought when the speed was doubled it went up the way seems that when you renew your contract for another 18 months the reduce you speed by two thirds from what you had originally.Smiley Mad

0 Ratings